• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Security and Introducing ideas way outside a Client's comfort zone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT Security and Introducing ideas way outside a Client's comfort zone

I'm just about to start working with 2 permies on an application security project. Right mess at the moment with 2 separate security repositories developed in isolation from each other and all the security rules embedded in the apps. Totally userid-centric with no concept of roles/groups. Every user has a profile slightly different from every other user. Maintenance horror story.

So much to improve and Client is keen so that's all good.

Trouble is the only other guy who comprehends when I start wittering about a decoupled security subsystem, native security facilities of the OS, role based design etc. is a freelancer working on another project. Its blank looks all round from the guys on the project - one of them is the guru on how the current security 'mechanism' works.

I'm going to set up some presentations to explain the concepts as best I can, but I just wondered if anyone had thoughts on moving people from a primitive mess to best practice when there is political will, but little insight.
    Should just add that I am not a security expert so I'm a little nervous about all this. I do have 20+ years of working in environments with very good IT security implementations and management though.

Originally posted by xux42 View Post
    I'm going to set up some presentations to explain the concepts as best I can, but I just wondered if anyone had thoughts on moving people from a primitive mess to best practice when there is political will, but little insight.
    1) Good luck
    2) you are a braver man than me
    3) Jobserve is --->
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Propose what you think is the best solution for the client and let the cards fall as they may.

Comment

Draw up two new user forms one with 200 separate boxes for all rights and one with 10 profiles. ask them which one they want to fill in when a new user joins or someone moves.

Then show how templating can save effort.

run a report for all previous helpdesk calls where people were given the wrong rights and couldn't work.

Do they need to conform with SOX? In which case how do they audit?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Can you work out how much time they will waste setting up x hundred/thousand individual accounts and demonstrate how much money they will save by using a suitable set of groups instead.

Comment

Thanks for useful response. Some quantification of the current cost and future benefits is a very good idea.

Comment

I think the individual examples given above that you can demonstrate should make it easier for them to understand. Drawing information from any support calls will also show how much time across the board they lose. Explain the fact it can be easily adminstered as demonstrated earlier.

I would have thought at some point even the fellow colleagues being IT orientated must have come across roles/groups, it is applicable in most technologies now in one form or another

Comment

Working...
              X