• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work permits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work permits

http://management.silicon.com/itpro/...9161175,00.htm

The UK's work permit scheme is being abused to import cheap IT workers from overseas at the expense of resident IT professionals, according to a report by trade union Amicus.

The union has expressed concern at the massive increase in the number of IT work permits granted - from just 1,800 in 1995 to 30,000 last year - and, in particular, the high number of permits for transfers within companies, which account for three-quarters of the total.

This comes at a time when the number of UK IT workers has declined slightly over the past four years, while pay data also shows that two-thirds of IT work permit holders are paid less than £30,000 when the average salary of an IT professional in the UK is £32,500.

Six of the top 10 work permit sponsors are headquartered in India, with Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) alone sponsoring more than 10,000 IT work permit applications during the last four years.

Amicus questioned whether all of these work permits are to address genuine skills gaps in the UK or whether these companies are bringing non-resident IT staff into the UK at below going pay-rates, particularly through the intra-company transfer permit route.

Peter Skyte, national officer for the IT sector at Amicus, said in the report: "The question needs to be asked whether the skills represented in these figures are bringing in non-resident work permit holders at below going rates in the UK and what effect this will have on foreign direct investment and the future of the IT sector."

The union says the work permit scheme could be discouraging employers from making proper long-term investment in training, which will "seriously undermine" the UK skills base in the long-term, and is calling for a review of the intra-company transfer scheme to ensure it is not being used to undercut pay rates of home-grown UK IT professionals.

Vote Labour - Vote for more work permits.

Peter Skyte, national officer for the IT sector at Amicus, said in the report: "The question needs to be asked ... whether the skills represented in these figures are bringing in non-resident work permit holders ...
    "

Theres no point in asking
    You will get no reply
    Ive just seen through Tony Blairs eyes

No I got no reason No I got no reason
    waiting for

The Third World War

No Future ...No Future ...

And Englands dreaming ...

Comment

I was on a project last year where 80% of the contractors applying for roles on the rollout were from Australia, South Africa and Zimbabwe - with a couple of others from Nigeria.

Of the total of 10 hired, 6 were foreign nationals with work permits, and one of the remaining 4 was a legal immigrant to the UK.

Tom
      Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you!
      StoneBlog Prime

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        two-thirds of IT work permit holders are paid less than £30,000 when the average salary of an IT professional in the UK is £32,500.
        So, it means that 1/3rd of IT work permit holder are definately paid more than 30k as otherwise they would be included in stats more favourable to the union that juggles it, and interesting how they say exactly 32.500, yet vaguely mention less than 30k, this seems to imply that (unless they are lieing through their teeth) that 2/3rd of permit holders earn 29,999 on average (and 1/3rd earn more than that, which can actually push AVERAGE work permit holder salary higher), then difference is actually 2.5k per year, which is less than 10%: hardly
        big deal especially given that 1/3 earn more and this would skew average salary higher.

More importantly - would you rather have £30k (before tax) in this country or £10k (probably zero tax) in Bangalor?

Comment

That depends - if you already live in Oldham, for example, you would probably take the 10K in Bangalore, as you would probably meet more people who speak English. The curry might not be as good though
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Is that right?? the top 5 are companies based in India! TCS I know just finished a massive contract with CIS.

Is this why permie adverts have crap salaries? Just to pass the legal requirements - then sponsor someone at less than that salary.

damn lawyers!
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
              That depends - if you already live in Oldham, for example, you would probably take the 10K in Bangalore, as you would probably meet more people who speak English. The curry might not be as good though
              If you live in Oldham I'm sure lack of english speakers is the last reason you would use to get out. The place is a dump!
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

A friend lives there (born and bred), and he is looking to leave primarily because he feels alienated in his own home town. He is white, of course.

Asians have offered his mother a paltry amount of cash for the house - quote 'you are the last white person here, why do you stay'.

Whenever the local papers report racist crimes by asians against whites, their offices tend to be attacked, even firebombed. So, to a certain extent, they are muted, and you never get to hear how bad it is.
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  http://management.silicon.com/itpro/...9161175,00.htm

The UK's work permit scheme is being abused to import cheap IT workers from overseas at the expense of resident IT professionals, according to a report by trade union Amicus.
                  This lot are a bit ******* slow aren't they? I can't wait for their next report "'the earth might not be flat', say Amicus".
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

At my current gig, myself and one of the directors are the only natives.
                    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
                    X