• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MFs house is now for sale

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MFs house is now for sale

Allegedly ...

"The UK's first fully solar-powered home, which removes the need to ever receive a gas or electricity bill again, has gone on sale - but it will set you back £1.2 million.

The timber-framed home in Great Glen, Leicestershire, contains a number of 'zero-carbon features', including solar electric energy, triple glazing and rainwater storage.

It is entirely heated by underground water-filled tubes that are warmed by solar energy from rooftop panels."

Source: For sale: The UK's first SOLAR-powered home that means you'll never get utility bills again (but you'll need £1.2m to buy it) | Mail Online

Its from the wail, stone the unbeliever!

Saw that, they have been talking about using the earth as a heat battery for a while, I'm just a bit suspicious, will the heating / cooling cycle cause subsidence issues?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Looks like an office block.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Its from the wail, stone the unbeliever!

Saw that, they have been talking about using the earth as a heat battery for a while, I'm just a bit suspicious, will the heating / cooling cycle cause subsidence issues?
        Ground source heat pumps / thermal solutions do not leave voids so subsidence risk is minimal. Most of these systems are installed with a driven pile which will not affect ground stability
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
          Ground source heat pumps / thermal solutions do not leave voids so subsidence risk is minimal. Most of these systems are installed with a driven pile which will not affect ground stability
          hmm, glad you are so certain. These guys seem to disagree:

Does GSHP cause subsidence?

https://www.hardtoinsure.co.uk/insur...risk/801602900

Synergy Boreholes / Geothermal Boreholes / Requirement Calculations

How far from buildings?
          A minimum of 3m to avoid the remote possibility of freezing ground temperature induced subsidence.
          I must admit I hadn't searched for this before.

now as I said 'suspicious' I suspect if installed correctly and with a decent margin of error then it will be fine in 99.99% of cases. though I do expect various builders to stuff it up royally.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            hmm, glad you are so certain. These guys seem to disagree:

Does GSHP cause subsidence?

https://www.hardtoinsure.co.uk/insur...risk/801602900

Synergy Boreholes / Geothermal Boreholes / Requirement Calculations

I must admit I hadn't searched for this before.

now as I said 'suspicious' I suspect if installed correctly and with a decent margin of error then it will be fine in 99.99% of cases. though I do expect various builders to stuff it up royally.

Hmm, I shall have a read: thanks
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
            X