• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web developers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web developers

Should be shot.

System I am using limits user passwords to 8 characters maximum.

Yeah, even "better": system where they would demand at least 8 chars, but maximum is like 12!

Comment

Don't slate them all. I'm a web developer and I don't do boo boos like that. And I usually employ an HCI consultant to make sure it makes sense.
      Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        Should be shot.

System I am using limits user passwords to 8 characters maximum.
        What limits it? user interface? Database field size? Data structure length? Most talented developers these days work in web developement due to the complex nature of the various levels one needs to think about. e.g. sessions/stateless nature/ajax/web services/caching.

Comment

They'd better start thinking about good backend architecture before dipping into Ajax or web services or any other buzz words that they want to keep on their CV.

Comment

Ahh I see Atw likes a big of backend work.

Comment

Backend Work

Ahh I see Atw likes a big of backend work.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Yep, web developers are just fashion designers of the IT world. They don't need to know anything to create nothing.

Comment

There are web developers who do the front end i.e. some HTML/CSS/Javascript a little server side scripting to pull from a db. Then there are developers who create enterprise applications using sql server and create business objects, using layered architecture, some of these applications also have web front ends so the developer needs to know a sever side framework like asp.net.

Comment

System I am using limits user passwords to 8 characters maximum
                    even "better":system where they would demand at least 8 chars, but maximum is like 12
                    So out of interest, what should the optimum min & max lengths be then ?

Comment

Working...
                    X