• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unboomed! No notice period in contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unboomed! No notice period in contract

Contract schedule actually states that the supplier is obliged to work the full term of the contract. Client can give 2 weeks notice.

Feck that - contract term is 6 months! I had 2 face to face interviews to nail this as well.

I'd do it for a really good rate but it would have to be double good to make up for the IR35 unfriendliness of the situation and the fact that I've sold my ass for 6 months.

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
    Contract schedule actually states that the supplier is obliged to work the full term of the contract. Client can give 2 weeks notice.

Feck that - contract term is 6 months! I had 2 face to face interviews to nail this as well.

I'd do it for a really good rate but it would have to be double good to make up for the IR35 unfriendliness of the situation and the fact that I've sold my ass for 6 months.
    It's actually a good thing from an IR35 position. No notice means (a) no hidden MOO and (b) it's something you cannot do to a permie. Perhaps learn the rules before complaining?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      It's actually a good thing from an IR35 position. No notice means (a) no hidden MOO and (b) it's something you cannot do to a permie. Perhaps learn the rules before complaining?
      Not sure I agree with that. Surely them telling me I have to work for them for 6 months is the worst possible thing re MOO. Furthermore, in a recent ir35 questionnaire I completed one of the questions asked was whether my contract had a notice period of 30 days or less. The insinuation being that the shorter the better.

Please explain yourself.

Comment

Main question is, why do you care about IR35?

Have you had an investigation? Do you know of anyone who's had an investigation? And if you do, what was the outcome of the investigation? Anyhoo, you've got insurance which is of course full proof as you're not a permie.

Next question is, do you want the contract? If so accept. If maybe but... negotiate terms. If not, wtf are posting on here.

Comment

Not sure I agree with that. Surely them telling me I have to work for them for 6 months is the worst possible thing re MOO. Furthermore, in a recent ir35 questionnaire I completed one of the questions asked was whether my contract had a notice period of 30 days or less. The insinuation being that the shorter the better.

Please explain yourself.
          If you are a permie, then you can give notice and walk. If you are a supplier, then you are committed to delivering for that period. Companies cannot restrain their employees like this, therefore you are less likely to be an employee.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I too agree that, if anything, this is a good thing in terms of demonstrating your relationship with ClientCo as a supplier, rather than an employee.
            If the gig is interesting enough, which I assume it is if you have been to 2 interviews, and if the rate is sufficient, which I assume it is as else you would just be walking away and not gone to 2 interviews......take it on.
            If you really want/have to leave early, I am pretty sure there are ways to engineer an exit
            latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Please explain yourself.
              No, you go do your own research. There's doubtless a lot of other things you haven't realised you don't know

The advice quoted is from Lawspeed, who were asked to comment on asymmetric notice periods a while back; for IR35 purposes no notice from the contractor and short notice from the client is the best option. Duration of notice makes no difference at all. I have no idea what guide you were reading, but there are only three applicable tests, one of which is an irreducible Mutuality of Obligation; one side not being allowed to leave before the work is done while the other can is a pretty good example of that.

And has been said many time, contractors don't need notice periods; they are of no practical value.

HTH.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
                If not, wtf are posting on here.
                This is a forum for the discussion of such things , yes?

As it happens, no I don't want it because I'd want a lot more money to insure myself against the scenario that it's a nightmare gig and I'm lumbered with it for the next 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  No, you go do your own research. There's doubtless a lot of other things you haven't realised you don't know

The advice quoted is from Lawspeed, who were asked to comment on asymmetric notice periods a while back; for IR35 purposes no notice from the contractor and short notice from the client is the best option. Duration of notice makes no difference at all. I have no idea what guide you were reading, but there are only three applicable tests, one of which is an irreducible Mutuality of Obligation; one side not being allowed to leave before the work is done while the other can is a pretty good example of that.

And has been said many time, contractors don't need notice periods; they are of no practical value.

HTH.
                  The questionnaire I was referring to was the qdos working practices questionnaire.

Comment

This is a forum for the discussion of such things , yes?
                    It is and it has....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=no...ntractoruk.com

Thank our colleagues that like to jump ship regularly if you don't like no notice contracts.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X