• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will America Default?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will America Default?

BBC News - US shutdown: Barack Obama warns of default danger

US President Barack Obama has warned that Wall Street should be concerned that a conservative faction of Republicans is willing to allow the country to default on its debt.

The US government has partially closed after Congress failed to agree a budget and will run out of cash on 17 October unless its debt ceiling is raised.
    Bank CEOs Warn of Consequences From US Shutdown, Default

“There's no debate that the seriousness of the U.S. not paying its debts ... is the most serious thing we have, and we witnessed that in August '11 and you saw the ramifications: a slowdown in the economy,” said Brian Moynihan, chief executive of Bank of America.

The United States came close to default during a similar political crisis in 2011. That standoff prompted a first-ever downgrade of the United States' credit rating.
    If America defaults this will make the collapse of Lehman brothers look like a drop in the ocean.

So, will the unthinkable happen?
    Yep, it's gonna happen and we're screwed.
    18.75%
    Not a chance, this sells newspapers but won't happen.
    56.25%
    Really don't care as I'm consirably richer than you
    12.50%
    I'll crash and AndyWs mums until things calm down
    12.50%
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I wouldn't put it past the Tea Party.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It all sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity for dirty spekulants to make a killing.

Comment

It will never happen, non story really and once again do we need to point out the shutdown has nothing to do with any potential default.
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          It all sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity for dirty spekulants to make a killing.

How do you mean?

Comment

Yes, it will happen, the republicans have lost control of the stupider, loonier part of their party who now have to appeal to people who just don't approve of obamacare.

I don't however think we are screwed as we do have some notice and its obviously going to happen....
            Last edited by eek; 3 October 2013, 08:42.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

"iScooterscot 5s. Conceived in Scotland, assembled in China, sold in Europe."

Yes yes, but where is it manufactured?
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                It will never happen, non story really and once again do we need to point out the shutdown has nothing to do with any potential default.
                US President Barack Obama has warned that Wall Street should be concerned that a conservative faction of Republicans is willing to allow the country to default on its debt.
                The US government has partially closed after Congress failed to agree a budget and will run out of cash on 17 October unless its debt ceiling is raised.

In a TV interview on Wednesday, Mr Obama said he was "exasperated".
                Seriously still think they are unrelated?

<tags SasGuru to step in the ring with some liberal use of the word cretin />

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Seriously still think they are unrelated?

<tags SasGuru to step in the ring with some liberal use of the word cretin />
                  Wow Deomcrat blames the other side for the problems, what ever next, our mate Dave blaming everything on guys before him
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Wow Deomcrat blames the other side for the problems, what ever next, our mate Dave blaming everything on guys before him
                    Good, so you actually agree with me then.

Comment

Working...
                    X