• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One week of iphone 5s ownership later

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One week of iphone 5s ownership later

What I like:

The speed. Using an iPhone 4 before. My goodness this thing is snappy.

The camera rapid fire option. Press & hold and take several photos a second. Really good for capturing that instant when the bambino smiles.

Voice texting. The new processor has obviously opened up voice recognition. When sending an SMS I press the mic button, speak, the text appears shortly after. Voice recognition has come a long way.

Lets not forget the finger print scanner. Like others before it, this one actually works. Not yet had it fail on me. You very quickly become used to the icons appearing just before you when picking the phone up. None of this swiping codes business.

What I don't like

The IOS still needs to be jailbroken if I don't want to pay my carrier when connecting to the internet via my computer.

New connector port, new docking station, new cables. But I suppose the old one has been around for some years.

New sim card new phone number that's just a pain.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    The IOS still needs to be jailbroken if I don't want to pay my carrier when connecting to the internet via my computer.

New sim card new phone number that's just a pain.
    Both those issues are carrier related. I can merrily tether my computer to the phone
    although the data consumption can be rather high
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Both those issues are carrier related. I can merrily tether my computer to the phone
      although the data consumption can be rather high
      It all depends on how unlimited your unlimited data plan is
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
        It all depends on how unlimited your unlimited data plan is
        In Deutschland vodafone payg want €15 for the privilege, which I don't care about. But it's a payment for nothing.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The Phone is great, very fast and responsive.
          But I'm missing my jail break

Comment

I've never needed to jailbreak a phone, I just use ones that let me install what I want

Horses for courses
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I didn't realise that scooter was getting an iPhone. You'd have thought he would have mentioned it in passing.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                I didn't realise that scooter was getting an iPhone. You'd have thought he would have mentioned it in passing.
                Newbie, don't use first names until you've been here for 5 years at least.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  What I like:

The speed. Using an iPhone 4 before. My goodness this thing is snappy.

The camera rapid fire option. Press & hold and take several photos a second. Really good for capturing that instant when the bambino smiles.

Voice texting. The new processor has obviously opened up voice recognition. When sending an SMS I press the mic button, speak, the text appears shortly after. Voice recognition has come a long way.

Lets not forget the finger print scanner. Like others before it, this one actually works. Not yet had it fail on me. You very quickly become used to the icons appearing just before you when picking the phone up. None of this swiping codes business.

Most of this (apart from the swipe) is true of the iOS7 on the 4 as well. Its a really nice OS and I am now a fully happy customer. The one thing I am not sure about with the 5s is the feel of the phone. I like the heavy yet balanced feel of the 4s to me making the phone light like a samsung is a wrong step.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    . I like the heavy yet balanced feel of the 4s to me making the phone light like a samsung is a wrong step.
                    Although in it's defence I like not having the heavier item pulling my trousers down ever time it's in my pocket.

Comment

Working...
                    X