• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

another way just to get references?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another way just to get references?

Just had an agent email me about a 6 month role and at the end they state -

Please note that due to the urgency of this role there will be no interviews and the decision will be based on references so to make the process smoother please send your CV with 2 references.

Another trick maybe to get references? The job spec sound varied enough not to be made up unless they just used an old one. Hope they won't start this and start saying 'Interviews will be decided on CV and references' I'm still not 100% sure that an agent will be stubborn enough to not put people forward if you don't give them references even if your a good fit for the role.

If the jobs exists I'm a velociraptor
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
      Just had an agent email me about a 6 month role and at the end they state -

Please note that due to the urgency of this role there will be no interviews and the decision will be based on references so to make the process smoother please send your CV with 2 references.

Another trick maybe to get references? The job spec sound varied enough not to be made up unless they just used an old one. Hope they won't start this and start saying 'Interviews will be decided on CV and references' I'm still not 100% sure that an agent will be stubborn enough to not put people forward if you don't give them references even if your a good fit for the role.
      Yes, it is.

Interviews are a 2-way street and if I don't get one I'm not interested.

Again, I've told 2 agents this week that I don't give references until after the interview (and with an offer on the table) - both have accepted this without a murmur.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Yes, it is.

Interviews are a 2-way street and if I don't get one I'm not interested.

Again, I've told 2 agents this week that I don't give references until after the interview (and with an offer on the table) - both have accepted this without a murmur.
        I do exactly the same, caught out by ROC Search years ago, never again.

is the OP allowed to name and shame ?

Comment

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
          I do exactly the same, caught out by ROC Search years ago, never again.

is the OP allowed to name and shame ?
          I think the shame would be falling for it rather than the agency trying it on. They are only trying to generate leads with a pretty scatter gun approach but it can work so a valid tactic to them.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X