• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another large leak at Fukushima

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another large leak at Fukushima

Linky

Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear plant has a new leak of radioactive water after workers overfilled a storage tank, its operator says.

The workers miscalculated the tank's capacity as it was tilted on unlevel ground, plant operator Tepco said.

It said around 430 litres (100 gallons) of water may have leaked from the tank, and could have flowed into the sea.
    The bozos are about to start extracting spent rods, normally shifted around by robotic devices with millimetre precision so they don't touch. These rods are damaged, bent and about to be removed manually. By these people. That can't measure a pot and fill it with water.

If these rods touch, we are looking at a major fission level event.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Linky

The bozos are about to start extracting spent rods, normally shifted around by robotic devices with millimetre precision so they don't touch. These rods are damaged, bent and about to be removed manually. By these people. That can't measure a pot and fill it with water.

If these rods touch, we are looking at a major fission level event.
    Don't they use robotic devices to move them about with millimetre precision because they are normally uniform, regular and in specific position/orientation? Therefore the actions are easily repeatable.
    Because they are no longer uniform and regular doesn't it require a bit of human intelligence and adaptibility?
    I very much doubt that they are just going to give a pair of oven gloves to Suity-san and expect him to pull them out like baking muffins.

Comment

Good thing I canceld that trip to Tokyo then!

Seriously though..good luck to them.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

So Mr. Clever, how would you measure the capacity of a tank when tilted?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          You are seriously asking me what is essentially a basic GCSE level maths question?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            easy. you need a 5 gallon jug and a 3 gallon jug.

and Bruce Willis

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

You are seriously asking me what is essentially a basic GCSE level maths question?
              Well yes. I think he is!
              The thing is he doesn't have much faith that you will have an answer!

Comment

It isn't a GCSE-level question when it's tilted (less than 90 deg)

It's as fiddly as hell even in an idealised situation with smooth internal sides. But if the tank has internal fittings or shape variations and suchlike its pretty much completely intractable and they'd be better off resorting to physical modelling/experimentation (preferably before they have to try that with radioactive liquid!)
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
                  Well yes. I think he is!
                  The thing is he doesn't have much faith that you will have an answer!
                  The angle from true vertical would equal the angle from true horizontal. This angle would give you a slice off the top (at the same angle to the container). You would cut a chord through the vessel at this angle and subtract the volume of this piece from the whole.

Comment

And no, I am not going out there to help them

Comment

Working...
                    X