• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

As several hundred PM's, BA's + techy's flood the market this month

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As several hundred PM's, BA's + techy's flood the market this month

as Industry Account switching winds down, RBS & Lloyds letting 000's go each day, Its looking like a 4/5 month out for a lot of contractors. It's going to be a long dark winter for some.

On the bright side this kull will ensure a good percentage will go to the darkside ensuring rates in the spring will shoot up.?

It's increasingly getting back to the early 90s style of contracting where it's who you know rather than what you know that gets you the gig. The commodity PM roles are always going to be first come, first served in getting an agent's attention but the better roles tend to have agencies hunting known-good contractors rather than desperate ex-permanent staff doing the "F5-apply" technique of job hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
      as Industry Account switching winds down, RBS & Lloyds letting 000's go each day, Its looking like a 4/5 month out for a lot of contractors. It's going to be a long dark winter for some.

On the bright side this kull will ensure a good percentage will go to the darkside ensuring rates in the spring will shoot up.?
      It's a cull and I don't think you can relate contracting rates to go up based on this alone.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
        It's increasingly getting back to the early 90s style of contracting where it's who you know rather than what you know that gets you the gig.
        You mean like doing business? If only though....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You mean like doing business? If only though....
          Contracting has been too easy for years. It's nowt like it was when I were a lad... Contractors these days just don't know how good they have it

I had a PMO assistant assigned to me at a contract last year who hadn't been born yet when I ran my first project

Comment

That's what scares me 90% of my contracts for the last 5 years have been going back to the same clients.

Applying through jobserve seems to be more effort than it used to be
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

The good news is that UBS is now halfway through it's massive job cull

We’re half way through job cuts: UBS CEO

Doesn't look good in the banking sector.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

From my (testing) perspective the market has looked fairly rosy since the schools went back.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  From my (testing) perspective the market has looked fairly rosy since the schools went back.
                  Schools factoring in market buoyancy? That's a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Schools factoring in market buoyancy? That's a new one.
                    Maybe it's different in the northern markets but decisions always go to poo as soon as the kids break up in London

Comment

Working...
                    X