• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Team Building

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team Building

1st week in my new contract, yippee!!

There's been a few "starters" very recently, perm and contractors. Client thinks it would be a good idea if we all went through some team building bollocks. Like painting some rooms and clearing the tulip out of some gardens... including contractors

Don't worry though, we get paid for it

There's a handful of contractors onsite, and they all seem to be blissfully unaware of the IR35 implications. Some of them said it's a good idea! 1 says not to worry, we won't get caught [by HMRC]!. Kingcook said he'd rather just just get on with the work he's contracted to do.

I get the feeling I haven't heard the last of this

How many dumb contractors are out there? FFS! I was expecting the contractors to be sticking together. I suppose there is always the chance that some/all of them may be working through an umbrella.
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Getting paid to integrate in the workplace and bond with the permies - not great from an IR35 perspective is it
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
      How many dumb contractors are out there? FFS! I was expecting the contractors to be sticking together. I suppose there is always the chance that some/all of them may be working through an umbrella.
      Too many I reckon, after seeing it first hand I'm often shocked by just how unaware some of them actually are.
      For instance for my last two gigs including this one I have managed to successfully get my contract changed prior to starting but the majority of other contractors I've spoken to just tend to sign them and have never heard of getting them reviewed
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

God do you work where I do! there seems to be some team building thing going on almost every other week where I am. There has been an away day and all contractors have to take part in it all. The IR35 issue has been raised but most do it which then leaves the odd few that don't want to looking like miserable gits.

I hate all this team building rubbish I just want to come in do my job and go one of the big pluses about working this way was that as a contractor I normally get left out of this tulip but this one had other ideas!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
          Too many I reckon, after seeing it first hand I'm often shocked by just how unaware some of them actually are.
          For instance for my last two gigs including this one I have managed to successfully get my contract changed prior to starting but the majority of other contractors I've spoken to just tend to sign them and have never heard of getting them reviewed
          Just take the name of their companies and contact details. If HMRC ever come knocking advise them you they are in for a long fight and likely to lose, however, they might want to have a look at this list of companies that don't know about IR35 and will be nice easy wins to line the coffers with.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Just take the name of their companies and contact details. If HMRC ever come knocking advise them you they are in for a long fight and likely to lose, however, they might want to have a look at this list of companies that don't know about IR35 and will be nice easy wins to line the coffers with.
            Whistle blower!

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Get this as well, I just heard one contractor tell another to make their mother a shareholder in the company to draw more out
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Get this as well, I just heard one contractor tell another to make their mother a shareholder in the company to draw more out
                We get a surprising number of those, along with kids/dads/grandparents etc. Along with the "my mate in the pub told me....." who people often believe more than they believe us
                ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
                  1st week in my new contract, yippee!!

There's been a few "starters" very recently, perm and contractors. Client thinks it would be a good idea if we all went through some team building bollocks. Like painting some rooms and clearing the tulip out of some gardens... including contractors

Don't worry though, we get paid for it

There's a handful of contractors onsite, and they all seem to be blissfully unaware of the IR35 implications. Some of them said it's a good idea! 1 says not to worry, we won't get caught [by HMRC]!. Kingcook said he'd rather just just get on with the work he's contracted to do.

I get the feeling I haven't heard the last of this

Not a certain building society in Swindon by any chance?

Comment

I have the same here. We were discussing recently about the penalties involved if you lost. I said "if you've done some diligence, like having your contract checked, then you've got an argument that you weren't deliberately declaring yourself outside when you are in". Two blank looks - "I showed my wife the contract before I signed it...". His wife is a baker.

Last one was discussing how it's easier to pay 4% on a director's loan (which currently stands at about £30000) and then repay it with a dividend at the start of the tax year, and then take out another directors loan...
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Working...
                    X