• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from home/4 days out of 5 etc - when to raise with client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working from home/4 days out of 5 etc - when to raise with client

Got my own ideas on this but wondered what everyone else has done in the past.
    Generally, if I want a gig I don't push this unless its going to be a showstopper for me. I assume I'm going to be on site mon-fri pretty much 9-5 or slightly longer. If I then get to WFH or whatever then its a bonus.

I'm sure you all know what its like - some places expect you on site 9am - 5.30pm plus, others don't care what hours you do (ie. come in early etc). Can make a huge difference IMHO whether a long distance contract is doable or not.

But, in situation now where theres a gig thats come up that is a bit far from home. My personal situation dictates that Im not going to be able to stay away too often (another story etc). Client has got another office very close to my home.

Tempted to ask before taking the gig whether there is any chance of WFH, other office for day or two a week, flexible hours etc. Might put them off I guess but if they do turn out to be right awkward gits then its going to be showstopper anyway.....

Anyone previous experience?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Yes. Lots [of previous experience].

In your case I'd bring it up at interview and be completely up front, because it sounds as though you're actually going to need them to be flexible rather than hoping they can be. The role I've finally just agreed terms with was one where I only attended the interview once I was happy they were completely clear on a. my required rate given the distance involved and b. the working day proposition I had.

Not mentioning it and 'hoping' they will be Ok with you WFH/working from another site probably won't go down too well.

You dictate your terms and if they don't like it, you find something else.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Got my own ideas on this but wondered what everyone else has done in the past.
      Generally, if I want a gig I don't push this unless its going to be a showstopper for me. I assume I'm going to be on site mon-fri pretty much 9-5 or slightly longer. If I then get to WFH or whatever then its a bonus.

I'm sure you all know what its like - some places expect you on site 9am - 5.30pm plus, others don't care what hours you do (ie. come in early etc). Can make a huge difference IMHO whether a long distance contract is doable or not.

But, in situation now where theres a gig thats come up that is a bit far from home. My personal situation dictates that Im not going to be able to stay away too often (another story etc). Client has got another office very close to my home.

Tempted to ask before taking the gig whether there is any chance of WFH, other office for day or two a week, flexible hours etc. Might put them off I guess but if they do turn out to be right awkward gits then its going to be showstopper anyway.....

Anyone previous experience?
      I prefer to work from a site and engage the people I work with rather than having to fire off emails or make mobile calls all the time. However I've noticed a definite shift in the past couple of years where, for me at least, the vast majority of my contracts have made WFH mandatory for a minimum of 40% (sometimes more, sometimes less, but I'd say 2 days a week is a reasonable average) of the working week.

I'd ask; you might find they're happy for contractors to work away from the office. At best they'll accomodate and at worst you might end up missing out on a contract you might not have wanted if it was based on site Mon-Fri.

Comment

I work completely from home or not at all. Take it or leave it. Most take it.

HTH
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

When you say most, you mean the two clients you have had since you got bored of being retired a year ago?

I forced WFH on my current client at my current stint there, who would always have been in the old-fashioned "you need to be here at a desk" camp before that. I basically told them "I don't have a car so I'll have to WFH other than the odd day here and there" and let them decide if they wanted me. We agreed to trial it with them having the option to bail if it wasn't working.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            When you say most, you mean the two clients you have had since you got bored of being retired a year ago?

I forced WFH on my current client at my current stint there, who would always have been in the old-fashioned "you need to be here at a desk" camp before that. I basically told them "I don't have a car so I'll have to WFH other than the odd day here and there" and let them decide if they wanted me. We agreed to trial it with them having the option to bail if it wasn't working.
            I think that's where you're [we're?] different to psychocandy. I get the impression he doesn't control much within his contracts.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

My thought is that if the gig does not meet your criteria then don't go for it.

As has been said elsewhere, interviews are a two way street - do they want you, and do you want them?
              Normally I assume that I'll be on site Mon-Fri, and it's a bonus if I can wangle WFH later.

If WFH is a pre-requisite (or working from another site), and you do not want the job unless this can be agreed, then make sure this is brought up before you accept the job. I'd even say that it may be better to do this in the interview and risk not even getting the offer, rather than waiting for the offer and then mucking about trying to get it agreed, but others may disagree.
              In my current gig I'd have preferred to work from London, but the agent kept putting me off asking about it, telling me "wait for an offer", and then "wait until you start and then discuss it", and it's not happened until now, when I'm getting extended, because I was willing to walk away unless they agreed to it.

I'm coming away from "It's work on offer, I must win it" to think more along the lines of "It's work on offer, do I want it? If yes, then I must win it", i.e. if I don't want the gig I'll walk away. This is only possible because I've managed to build up my warchest now.

Oh, and why isn't this in B / C?
              Last edited by Ticktock; 4 October 2013, 11:00.

Comment

MP is right of course, but I prefer the barrel approach.
                i.e. get them over it then start humping

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

It's a show stopper for you at the moment.

So either you ask, or you don't take the gig (assuming it's offered of course)

I'd be tempted not to mention it until after interview and actually being offered.

If agent/client moan, say circumstances have changed.

You might end up burning some bridges, so your mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    MP is right of course, but I prefer the barrel approach.
                    i.e. get them over it then start humping
                    Depends. If your skill set is valuable enough to the client, you can um, hump them I guess.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X