• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Emerson Lake and Palmer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emerson Lake and Palmer

When I were a lad, there was a thing called heavy prog rock.

ELP did Pirates, Fanfare for the common man, They said there'll be snow this christmas. etc

my lad grew up and became a drummer in a band, and I used to tell him about carl Palmer.
    a few days ago I found this

my lad says his @rse fell out of his pants when he saw it

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! Why is my Youtube suddenly not working?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

ELP did Pirates, Fanfare for the common man, They said there'll be snow this christmas. etc

my lad grew up and became a drummer in a band, and I used to tell him about carl Palmer.

Which one was the keyboardist? Emerson I assume. There's a clip of him I saw somewhere totally abusing his keyboard - jamming knives in it and such like.
      Last edited by wurzel; 4 October 2013, 23:03.

Comment

There is always documentaries and live concerts on Sky Arts about ELP, I have no idea why, but I like to watch them.

he used to have a steel drum kit manufactured bespoke by British steel, I think it weighed a few tonnes and stages had to be reinforced, the keyboard had to get repaired every night as well after being stabbed and thrown about a bit, in the end they reinforced it with steel and Emerson got trapped under it the next night. I wish I lived in the 70s again.

He has a double bass drum kit, you can see his little legs going like the clappers, that kind of show drumming is much easier using that. You lose the hi hit control clutch though and your drumming loses a lot of soul.

Comment

Feel sorry for the bassist and guitarist who are simply "addons". A colleague of mine saw Palmer recently and he said the truck was full of drum equipment and at one end tucked away in a corner was a couple of guitars and two small amps.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Feel sorry for the bassist and guitarist who are simply "addons". A colleague of mine saw Palmer recently and he said the truck was full of drum equipment and at one end tucked away in a corner was a couple of guitars and two small amps.
            One of the guitarists he has been playing alongside is Steve Howe, of Yes.
            as recently as dec last year.

nyc 2006 roundabout
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I'm not a ELP fan but I like the Nice.
              <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Get him to listen to Ginger Baker's 'Toad', from Cream's "Wheels of Fire" album; all 14 minutes of it. Then ask him how towards the end Baker managed a double handed drum riff in 5/4 time, a counterpoint rhythm on the bass and a cymbal roll...

It's not the greatest music in the world, but technically it's unsurpassed.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Ginger Baker is terribly overrated, technique, sound, style, pretty much on everything. He gets by on "I used to play in jazz clubs" but really his body of work is not that great compared to what was going on at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! Why is my Youtube suddenly not working?
                    When you say "not working" do you mean "no sound"?

Try clicking the loudspeaker icon. Youtube has been starting with that set to zero the last few times I've tried watching something.

P.S.

I think I got overexposure to ELP in the sixth form. Once I'd spent a bit of time at uni discovering all sorts of other bands, I found ELP somewhat trite.
                    Last edited by Sysman; 6 October 2013, 16:38.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X