• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Withdraw cach from a Cater Allen reserve account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Withdraw cach from a Cater Allen reserve account

I have a business reserve account and a deferred Visa card. So far I'm aware of the following methods to withdraw money:
    1. Use the Visa on ATMs - the daily limit for the card is 2000, but in my experience ATMs will only issue 600 in one transaction. Which means it takes time and it attracts attention (I'm a shy guy ).
    2. Use BACS - send the money to my personal NatWest account. Works, is free, but takes 3 (if sent before 4 pm) or 4 work days.
    3. Use FPS - fast, but there is an £25 fee.

I've read a long time ago on this forum that it is possible to withdraw money on a bank branch counter. As Cater Allen was bought (probably with public money) by Santander, that would make sense. I called CA support and they told me I can go to any Royal Bank of Scotland branch (the retail network in England was also bought by Santander). I went to two branches, but neither could provide the service. The Visa card couldn't authenticate me and they couldn't find the CA account.

I'd like to find if there's a free, fast method to get a few thousand pounds out.

Originally posted by Ender View Post
    I have a business reserve account and a deferred Visa card. So far I'm aware of the following methods to withdraw money:
    1. Use the Visa on ATMs - the daily limit for the card is 2000, but in my experience ATMs will only issue 600 in one transaction. Which means it takes time and it attracts attention (I'm a shy guy ).
    2. Use BACS - send the money to my personal NatWest account. Works, is free, but takes 3 (if sent before 4 pm) or 4 work days.
    3. Use FPS - fast, but there is an £25 fee.

I've read a long time ago on this forum that it is possible to withdraw money on a bank branch counter. As Cater Allen was bought (probably with public money) by Santander, that would make sense. I called CA support and they told me I can go to any Royal Bank of Scotland branch (the retail network in England was also bought by Santander). I went to two branches, but neither could provide the service. The Visa card couldn't authenticate me and they couldn't find the CA account.

I'd like to find if there's a free, fast method to get a few thousand pounds out.
    I had the same problem and phoned Cater Allen up - they told me to go to a RBS branch and ask for a cash advance. If they still don't know what to do ask them to call the manager. What happens next is they pull out the old mechanical card imprint machine and you sign the voucher and if you have picture ID they give you cash.

Simples!

I did this and I didn't see a fee appear on my account (yet).

I don't know why Cater Allen can't explain this properly upfront - it took me 3 calls to them to get the information.

Also I don't see the point of a daily limit of £2000 for ATM withdrawals as some machines don't allow more than £400, I have managed to take out £600 from a big branch of a bank but higher than that is impossible to find.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

OK, confused now. Why would the company need cash in hand - why not a cheque if you can't do it with the card? And if speed is of the essence (can't imagine why anyone suddenly wants £2k in readies, but that's just me) why use BACS, what's wrong with FP? Or perhaps you should use a bank that acts like one: CA are everyone's favourite but they aren't exactly up wiv da kids.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        CA are everyone's favourite but they aren't exactly up wiv da kids.
        WHS

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          can't imagine why anyone suddenly wants £2k in readies, but that's just me) why use BACS, what's wrong with FP?
          I'm a tight A*** and didn't want to pay the fee - I needed money drawn against dividend voucher PDQ to walk round to my personal bank branch to deposit it to make sure the Mortgage payment didn't bounce.

as for FP - what does that mean? For retail banks it means 2 hours, for CA it means 2 days.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            I'm a tight A*** and didn't want to pay the fee - I needed money drawn against dividend voucher PDQ to walk round to my personal bank branch to deposit it to make sure the Mortgage payment didn't bounce.

as for FP - what does that mean? For retail banks it means 2 hours, for CA it means 2 days.
            CA use RBS to process their payments. If you initiate a transfer before IIRC 2pm the money hits your personal account around 1pm the following day.

Not as fast as FP but fast enough shirley?

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
              CA use RBS to process their payments. If you initiate a transfer before IIRC 2pm the money hits your personal account around 1pm the following day.

Not as fast as FP but fast enough shirley?
              Now that I know that then yes, but I was told 2 business days if done before 2pm, not one.

Comment

OK, but several things wrong there, the main one being using a bank that doesn't meet your requirements. My last divi went from company to personal a/c across two banks in less than 2 hours, using Fast Payments, and cost a mighty £0.23p.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Now that I know that then yes, but I was told 2 business days if done before 2pm, not one.
                  Even if it takes 2 business days which it doesn't how come you can't manage your money around it?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Even if it takes 2 business days which it doesn't how come you can't manage your money around it?
                    Because when on the bench the money in personal account ran low, when finally paid 30 days after invoice I needed to rush to get the mortgage money in.

Comment

Working...
                    X