• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Putting my Sons contract via my limited

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting my Sons contract via my limited

Son has left Uni and first job he's found is contract.

Probably just something to tide him over for a year, so doubt that it's worth the hassle for him to setup his own ltd.

I'm wondering what advantages there might be to employ him through my ltd rather than him going through a brolly.

I'd treat him as an employee with PAYE so no messy dividend arrangements.

Obviously he'd save the brolly costs.

Bit more cost and hassle for me, but wonder if there are any other benefits to this in terms of having an additional fee earner through the company.

Possible loss of FRS?

Comment

Take him on as an apprentice, claim £1500 from the government.
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by MonzaMike View Post
        Son has left Uni and first job he's found is contract.

Probably just something to tide him over for a year, so doubt that it's worth the hassle for him to setup his own ltd.

I'm wondering what advantages there might be to employ him through my ltd rather than him going through a brolly.

I'd treat him as an employee with PAYE so no messy dividend arrangements.

Obviously he'd save the brolly costs.

Bit more cost and hassle for me, but wonder if there are any other benefits to this in terms of having an additional fee earner through the company.
        More than one fee earner is good for IR35.

Comment

As others have said:

~ more than one fee earner helps re IR35 profile, although not a primary status test
          ~ save brolly costs (Sorry Lisa)
          ~ possible saving under FRS cf risk of breaching FRS threshold.
          ~ check Employers liability issues. Generally not required for family members, but I am not an insurance bod
          ~ not currently relevant, but auto enrolment complexities down the road if arrangement continues, or someone reads this thread in a few years (single person company exempt from AR, two person company not AFAIR from my last reading of AR rules, doubtless changed 55 times since)

Comment

Working...
          X