• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More underhand tactics by an Indian Firm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More underhand tactics by an Indian Firm

I am contracting for a service provider for an end client in London, who have recently awarded the contract to one of the big Indian firms. As soon as I heard about it 6 months ago I knew all these things would happen, but it just makes me so angry;

Most of the Indian staff have obviously never worked in IT before
    I found out most of them are on 8 week business visas which doesn't allow them to do the actual job, but is aimed more at setting up business. They certainly are doing the day job on these visas.
    The thing that really gets me though are the poor permies who were told six months ago they would TUPE across and have a glowing career within the company. 2 weeks before the contract is due to handover and they have all been given notice that their roles are moving to India, which they can accept or be made redundant. They kept them on a false promise until they didn't need them anymore then discarded them.

Thank god I am a contractor and used to being told to go away quietly when not wanted anymore!!!

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    they have all been given notice that their roles are moving to India, which they can accept or be made redundant.
    At least some of them should have accepted such role and waited for ages until their company gets work visa in India.

Comment

Surely this is the type of thing that should be made public?
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Surely this is the type of thing that should be made public?
        Yes but it would cause embarrassment to the end client and therefore people quietly go.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

need to contact the visa abuse people

Visa rules being abused to bring in offshore IT staff, investigation claims :: Contractor UK

PCG might be interested.

Daily wail?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Why blame the Indian firms, they're only trying to get business.
            Far more to blame in my mind are the firms breaking/stretching the law to outsource.
            Name and shame, no point whinging on a forum.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Must be a way to whistle-blow on conditions of anonymity?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Why blame the Indian firms, they're only trying to get business.
                Far more to blame in my mind are the firms breaking/stretching the law to outsource.
                Name and shame, no point whinging on a forum.
                The problem is that the firm is not stretching the law. They have been sold a "high quality" outsourced solution (the fact we know its a grade 1 lie is irrelevant here).

The simple fact that the Indian company lied to them until the ink was dry on the contract is not the end clients fault (although granted you would hope that they knew what they were doing after after 10 years of outsourced cock ups elsewhere).
                Last edited by eek; 7 October 2013, 10:12.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  need to contact the visa abuse people
                  As if they care... After all, they're not on the same scale of gross criminality as a foreign student working evening shifts at a takeaway to earn some money to help them live, surely they've got it right in targeting these people first rather than mass corporate visa fraud.

Most companies neither think nor care about visa issues as they know they're about as likely to get properly investigated as Jimmy Saville was in the 1970s.

Comment

It would be good to know the name of the Indian company and the client.

Firstly so that the next batch of permies to get outsourced to them can be forewarned of what to really expect.

Secondly so that we can short ClientCo's shares to take advantage of the impending IT cluster-tulip that is due in 18 months.

Comment

Working...
                    X