• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yes she is annoying (Mizz Jones) but she has a point

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes she is annoying (Mizz Jones) but she has a point

How do we sort out the sweatshops?

I've paid £1,000 to save slumdog Dolly: She was only 13 when she met Liz Jones, slaving 12 hours a night, 7 days a week sewing sequins for UK fashion stores and living in squalor. Just look at her now!
    Liz Jones first met Dolly on a visit to Bangladesh in summer 2010
    She revisited Dolly recently to see her thriving after going back to school
    What a shame, I thought, as I backed out of her bamboo square balanced precariously above an open sewer and tried not to touch the walls or step in excrement, that there were no black-suited security guards at her door.

You know the sort: they stand there, mute, as you enter boutiques on London’s Old Bond Street, making sure you’re not about to steal any of the merchandise.

They would have been more use here. Then perhaps Dolly would not have been working 12 hours a night, seven nights a week for 2,800 taka a month (the minimum wage in Bangladesh back then was 1,662 taka a month – about £15, or 50p a day), as an embroiderer in a garment factory.

Perhaps her hair would not be showing signs of malnutrition. Perhaps, too, she would be able to read and write her own name, and sleep.

‘What did you sew last night?’ I asked her. ‘Sequins,’ she whispered, worried I was going ask her to name names (like all garment workers, she was searched every morning as she left the factory in case she smuggled out a famous name’s label and gave it to the press).
    I've paid £1,000 to save slumdog Dolly: She was only 13 when she met Liz Jones, slaving 12 hours a night, 7 days a week sewing sequins for UK fashion stores and living in squalor. Just look at her now! | Mail Online
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I thought Dolly was a sheep?

Comment

There was an outstanding report in the Independent a few years ago that I can't find that covered this stuff. They showed that the sweatshop workers would have been better in proper slavery as at least their masters would have had to house and feed them, most of the staff were being paid below a survival wage defined as enough to live in a covered shelter and feed yourself above starvation. I think the article may have been pulled because it named companies who used the end-product of the sweatshops.

But then that's the price you have to pay if some people must have their £2 dress or £5 full school uniform.

Comment

It's also down to the culture within the country.

For example if you were an employer, would you hire someone and pay them below the min wage, so much so they had malnutrition.
        Would you expect them to work in squalor.

We are buying the products, but their own people are their employers.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
          It's also down to the culture within the country.

For example if you were an employer, would you hire someone and pay them below the min wage, so much so they had malnutrition.
          Would you expect them to work in squalor.

We are buying the products, but their own people are their employers.
          precisely why we should enforce our employment practices on our suppliers.

Its funny we fill in 16 page forms for suppliers in the UK but ignore flagrant breaches in overseas suppliers.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            How do we sort out the sweatshops?
            Stop expecting to be able to buy a t-shirt for £1.50 in Primark
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
              But then that's the price you have to pay if some people must have their £2 dress or £5 full school uniform.
              Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

It’s not just the cheap shops that use these practices; some brand names have been accused of slave labour.

Also I get generic t-shirts from M&S, they spout fair trade etc.. I how I know for sure that these have been ethically made?
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

unfortunately this would make absolutely no difference, Apple don't make products in China with under age (allegedly) labour so they can sell them at £1.50. Bennenton, H&M and M&S are not known for their knock down prices.

the UK & preferably the EU government should put in minimum labour standards for offshore suppliers with huge fines.

Comment

The question is would these people be better off if we stopped buying the products they make? Easy to preach, but if you take away their only income where does it leave them?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Lots of people can't afford to SPEND more than this on cloths though...
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X