• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension contribution by one man Ltd company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension contribution by one man Ltd company

I am an IT contractor operating through a one man Ltd company. I am about to go into an IR35 caught contract for a few months and am planing the tax implication.

In order to minimise the overall tax hit of this particular contract, could I pay a minimal salary (~ £7k) just to avoid NIC and income tax and pay the rest of the balance all into my personal SIPP?

Will this relative large pension contribution be allowable for corporation tax? I am aware there is a £50k cap and this contract is below that value.

Thanks

Pension contributions and allowable motor & travel both reduce a deemed payment, yes.

There was discussion a while back about large pension payments not being allowable for CT purposes as they may not be "wholly and exclusively" for the business, but that was debunked by PCG I believe (although I can't find the exact article now, so I'm not sure if they've taken it down......)
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      Pension contributions and allowable motor & travel both reduce a deemed payment, yes.

There was discussion a while back about large pension payments not being allowable for CT purposes as they may not be "wholly and exclusively" for the business, but that was debunked by PCG I believe (although I can't find the exact article now, so I'm not sure if they've taken it down......)
      Do you mean this one?
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

So if I am the one who earns all the money and the company only has one shareholder and all the money goes to my pension (minus minimum salary),

Presumably, I can then argue the contribution is "whole and exclusively incurred for the benefit of the company's trade".

CT is reduced......?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Do you mean this one?
          Ooops....

If any part of the package is deemed to be “excessive”, then the company cannot get tax relief on the excess.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X