• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opt in, not out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opt in, not out

Have just received e-mail from agent stating that they can't release the signed contract to me until I have returned a signed 'Opt-Out' form.

I'm not going to name them yet as they are generally good guys, however.....a) I think what they are saying is a bit naughty, and b) I started on site today.

Can't trust anyone these days

Just point out that its too late as you've
    1) signed the contract
    2) started work they have clearly agreed to both the contract and that you are opted in.

Then just blow a raspberry in their direction....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Just point out that its too late as you've
      1) signed the contract
      2) started work they have clearly agreed to both the contract and that you are opted in.

Then just blow a raspberry in their direction....
      Told them I am happy to opt in, and that i'm already on site so it wouldn't be valid anyway. Just made me wonder if they actually were aware its too late. The last agency, again good guys, didn't have a clue about opt out, or IR35 or substitution.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
        Told them I am happy to opt in, and that i'm already on site so it wouldn't be valid anyway. Just made me wonder if they actually were aware its too late. The last agency, again good guys, didn't have a clue about opt out, or IR35 or substitution.
        I would argue they were 'good guys' if that is the case. Got away with it by the skin of your teeth would be more my thought. I bet they wouldn't have been good guys if you needed to substitute!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have just received e-mail from agent stating that they can't release the signed contract to me until I have returned a signed 'Opt-Out' form.
          I presume you have signed the contract and sent it to them and you are just waiting for them to counter sign it? I'd just ignore them in that case because having started work the deal is done, signed or otherwise. Or better still, since they put it in writing, report them because they are acting illegally.

Just made me wonder if they actually were aware its too late
          Of course they are, they are just playing stupid - they come out with all sorts of crap when it comes to opting out.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I would argue they were 'good guys' if that is the case. Got away with it by the skin of your teeth would be more my thought. I bet they wouldn't have been good guys if you needed to substitute!
            Oddly enough, I actually have a substitute in situ, so still have that contract as well as this one. They were a bit bemused as they had never had anyone sub before (actually sub as compared to the clause), but they went along with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              I presume you have signed the contract and sent it to them and you are just waiting for them to counter sign it? I'd just ignore them in that case because having started work the deal is done, signed or otherwise. Or better still, since they put it in writing, report them because they are acting illegally.

Of course they are, they are just playing stupid - they come out with all sorts of crap when it comes to opting out.
              Yes and yes!

Comment

Escalated up the agency food chain.

'You did opt out on your last contract through us so its ok, you just need to return the paperwork'.

Hmmmmmm........No

Comment

Escalated up the agency food chain.

'You did opt out on your last contract through us so its ok, you just need to return the paperwork'.

Hmmmmmm........No
                  Mmmm.....

Ask them again through email if they insist that you opt-out after you have started on site and have agreed and signed the contract, then contact the pay and work rights helpline on the phone and report them. You will find within 10 days they will back down......

*0800 917 2368 Monday-Friday 9-5 and Saturday 9-1 The email address for the department of BIS doesn't work you have to get the EAI by calling that number.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Mmmm.....

Ask them again through email if they insist that you opt-out after you have started on site and have agreed and signed the contract, then contact the pay and work rights helpline on the phone and report them. You will find within 10 days they will back down......

*0800 917 2368 Monday-Friday 9-5 and Saturday 9-1 The email address for the department of BIS doesn't work you have to get the EAI by calling that number.
                    Many thanks for this. Saves me searching.

Although I am genuinely hoping they are just a bit naive and it won't come to that!

Comment

Working...
                    X