• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

French question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French question

While visiting France recently, I stumbled across a big statue of a soldier with this inscribed on it. Anyone know what it means?

"Tombeau du fromage-manger singes inconnu de reddition"

'The tomb of the unknown cheese-eating surrender monkey'.

According to Babelfish.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

And paralink (which is usually better by far than Babelfish) gives the even worse:

Tomb of the cheese - to eat monkeys the unknown of capitulation

Tom
      Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you!
      StoneBlog Prime

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
        While visiting France recently, I stumbled across a big statue of a soldier with this inscribed on it. Anyone know what it means?

Not by a native...

Should be:
        "Le tombeau pour le singe inconnu qui mange cheese et surenders."
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

...which translates as;

"The tomb for the unknown monkey who eats cheese and surrenders."

Nice... *nods*

Tom
          Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you!
          StoneBlog Prime

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100

In loving memory of Wendigo100s relative, who fought bravely against the tyranny of ken livingston and tony blair to make a fair world for all of us. May he be remembered as the brave soldier that had one blog on the internet to his name. May every wheel clamp and parking fine live up to his name for exceeding the 30mph speed limit on London roads. A brave soul who won a bitter battle and earned good death.

Comment

Sorry. Did not intend to make that look as personal as it did. When I die I hope someone will erect a structure, that says stole cars on nights out while never paying the congestion charge for them, and drove at over 80mph on the A11, having shot out all the speed cameras with my air rifle.

Comment

Working...
              X