• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Software Room 101

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software Room 101

In the spirit of BBC's room 101, recently presented by Mr Merton and later Mr Skinner, I would like to nominate this thread as a dumping ground for software that should never have been written or allowed outside the hard disk of its intellectually challenged creators.

My number one nomination is HP Quality Centre. Clunky, overgrown, overcomplicated, includes many 'advanced features' that impress management wonks, including some of the most idiotically unscientific 'reports' in the world, but lacks some basic things that devs and testers need, and only has one saving grace; it allows me to invoice about 8 hours for every unit of work that would take me 1 hour with open source tools. But even that gets boring after a while.

I would appreciate the nominations of the congregation.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Symantec/Norton products.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

SAP
      Beer
      is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
        SAP
        WHS
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Windows Workflow Foundation. The bane of my existence at current Clientco. Horrible to debug, generates nauseating code, randomly decides to corrupt application state.

Comment

SAP
            Agree. Although I have billed 1421.5 hours to SAP testing this year. So it's not all bad.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
              Agree. Although I have billed 1421.5 hours to SAP testing this year. So it's not all bad.
              I once invoiced about 1200 hours testing a SAP HR set up, along with two other blokes. It's not even as if it was particularly complex functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Symantec/Norton products.
                SAP
                You need to give some justification for me to press the great 'ctrl alt del' in the sky and consign all this tulipe to room 101.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
                  Windows Workflow Foundation. The bane of my existence at current Clientco. Horrible to debug, generates nauseating code, randomly decides to corrupt application state.
                  +1 One piddly code change, and every workflow becomes corrupt...

Comment

SAS, as it evidently encourages hubris and arrogance in lowly journeyman statisticians
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X