• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

English as the International Language

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English as the International Language

One of the things I've always enjoyed about travelling is practicing my language skills. I'm proficient in 4 languages, fluent in 1.

What I've noticed in recent years is that I will often be talking to someone in their native language, in a bar, say, or a shop, and they will reply in English. And continue to talk English even if I continue in their native tongue. I find this really rude and it does actually quite piss me off.

I guess these continentals are just used to us all being real dunces when it comes to languages.

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
    One of the things I've always enjoyed about travelling is practicing my language skills. I'm proficient in 4 languages, fluent in 1.

What I've noticed in recent years is that I will often be talking to someone in their native language, in a bar, say, or a shop, and they will reply in English. And continue to talk English even if I continue in their native tongue. I find this really rude and it does actually quite piss me off.

I guess these continentals are just used to us all being real dunces when it comes to languages.
    That's cos your intonation and pronunciation is not local. I'm pretty good at that, Scruff (member here) can profess that I do a good South African 'Diplomatic Immunity' accent that was so realistic he adopted the Danny Glover role and shot me in the head, of which thanks to the application of a plaster and consumption of a sachet of Lemsip I have now fully recovered.

When in Russia after saying 'excuse me please, comrade' (in russian obviously) I get asked for directions and stuff and can't follow the rest.

One time this lass in the building got wind of me, a Brit in the building and came dancing down the corridor screaming 'Are you English, are you English!!!???' and dancing up and down like he was having an orgasm. "I can;t believe it!!'

Turned out she was 15 and 'a Manager' and from Chechyna and Muslim and her father was 'Important' and she had scars all over her face so we left quickly...

I remember my missus questioning her about how can u be a manager at 15, had to drag her out...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      That's cos your intonation and pronunciation is not local. I'm pretty good at that, Scruff (member here) can profess that I do a good South African 'Diplomatic Immunity' accent that was so realistic he adopted the Danny Glover role and shot me in the head, of which thanks to the application of a plaster and consumption of a sachet of Lemsip I have now fully recovered.

When in Russia after saying 'excuse me please, comrade' (in russian obviously) I get asked for directions and stuff and can't follow the rest.

One time this lass in the building got wind of me, a Brit in the building and came dancing down the corridor screaming 'Are you English, are you English!!!???' and dancing up and down like he was having an orgasm. "I can;t believe it!!'

Turned out she was 15 and 'a Manager' and from Chechyna and Muslim and her father was 'Important' and she had scars all over her face so we left quickly...

I remember my missus questioning her about how can u be a manager at 15, had to drag her out...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

when you say building do you mean knocking shop?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It's never ceased to amaze me how much communication can be achieved with basic sign language, given a bit of patience and good will
          it doesnt always work, but it often does
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
          X