• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Englishness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Englishness

I've been watching the goings on in the sporting world. I was wondering how do CUKkers think about adopted nationality?

I think if you have British roots i.e. parants or grandparants, or even if you don't but moved here when you were young and grew up here, then it's part of your identity and who you are, so you're as English as you feel.

But what about someone who comes here when they are older with no prior appreciation or exposure? A good example would be the young Lithuanian swimmer whose name escapes me. She lives and trains here but there is clearly no question in her mind about who she is and which country she represents. Zola Budd

One wonders how the poor guy who is being discussed (Adnan Januzaj) feels about it. Nobody seems to have canvassed his opinion, and I'd say that's a lot more relevant than what Jack Wilshere thinks.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Can I tell you what I think?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Can I tell you what I think?
      If you have to ask that, you clearly know our opinion!!!
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've got a lot of scottish relatives, but I was born and raised here so I feel English
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
          I've got a lot of scottish relatives, but I was born and raised here so I feel English
          Well that's nice.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Aside from the nationality aspect, football's a team game. Whatever policies the FA decide, once the team is picked, any player that starts whining about another player, questioning loyalty to the team and so on, is a destructive element and should be spoken to very sternly by captain and coach, and if he carries on, then dropped. Jack Wilshere's welcome to have his opinions but if he's part of a team then he should know when to keep his mouth shut and must learn to see and treat his team mates as equals. Any other approach in a team game will lead to losing matches.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Seem to have no shame about using a South African squad for the cricket so might as well do it for the football.

Seriously, this is the excuses building up for next summer, blame the clubs for England being tulipe at football.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                If you have to ask that, you clearly know our opinion!!!
                But you probably don't know mine.

And contrary to the picture the esteemed members of cUK would like to paint, I believe adopted nationality and an individual's nationality for that matter, is an outmoded concept. Particularly in the modern day Britain. What purpose does it serve in a country so diluted as ours? What do we stand for anymore? What does it mean to be British? I could probably tell you more about what it means to be German than British, and that's frightening

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  But you probably don't know mine.

And contrary to the picture the esteemed members of cUK would like to paint, I believe adopted nationality and an individual's nationality for that matter, is an outmoded concept. Particularly in the modern day Britain. What purpose does it serve in a country so diluted as ours? What do we stand for anymore? What does it mean to be British? I could probably tell you more about what it means to be German than British, and that's frightening
                  England has always been a mongrel nation, but it's been sucessive labour governments and the BBC that have tried to dilute our identity
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                    England has always been a mongrel nation, but it's been sucessive labour governments and the BBC that have tried to dilute our identity
                    Perhaps this is why the neighbours in the north receive such hostility, because they still have identity?

Comment

Working...
                    X