• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Unemployed" between projects?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Unemployed" between projects?

Just wondering - is it normal to register as unemployed between projects? I guess if you're an employee of your own company you'd still be employed but earning nothing, which sucks.

Originally posted by bigugly View Post
    Just wondering - is it normal to register as unemployed between projects? I guess if you're an employee of your own company you'd still be employed but earning nothing, which sucks.
    Depends if you're Welsh I think.

Normally you'd have built up a 'war-chest' of cash to see you through to the next contract.

AAUI you lay yourself off then go to the Job Centre and sign on.

Comment

But you can't claim JSA if you have 16k in savings or in the business account I believe. Search for Psychocandys posts. Lots of discussion of it in this threads including one that is currently running if you have a quick scan of the current threads.

...but no.. it is not normal.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Warchest - you need one.

Comment

Absolutely not normal.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          But you can't claim JSA if you have 16k in savings or in the business account I believe. Search for Psychocandys posts. Lots of discussion of it in this threads including one that is currently running if you have a quick scan of the current threads.

You can claim contributions based JSA if you have made enough contributions; you can claim income based JSA if you have a low income and low savings. You don't have to claim both.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
            You can claim contributions based JSA if you have made enough contributions; you can claim income based JSA if you have a low income and low savings. You don't have to claim both.
            You can't claim both, its one or the other. Contributions based JSA is only paid if you qualify upto 6 months, then you only get something if you qualify for income based.
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
              You can't claim both, its one or the other. Contributions based JSA is only paid if you qualify upto 6 months, then you only get something if you qualify for income based.
              I would have assumed a decent contractor couldn't claim either tbh but I don't understand it or don't really care so will withdraw
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Instead of fretting about £59 p/w (or whatever it currently is) for JSA use the time to get some training in, learn a new skill or complete some home improvements.

I'm currently on the bench myself and have been since mid August and I'm managing some building work at my gaff in London - enjoying the change of scene.

Got two interviews lined up over the next few days so hopefully back to booming soon.

Comment

Why are you earning nothing? Assuming you pay yourself a salary, then the company still pays you your salary whether you're working or not. Do you think employees of large consultancies sign on if they're not currently on assignment?

If YourCo still has the money to keep paying your salary, it should, and therefore you're not unemployed. If the company runs out of money, well then that's different and you genuinely don't have an income. And before you're tempted to pay a big dividend and then claim the company has no money left, dividends should be paid out of profit and it's not really profit if the company can't afford to pay its staff.

That's the way I see it.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Looking up psychocandy was a good call. And the welsh reference makes sense now .

Comment

Working...
                    X