• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How you all got started?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How you all got started?

Hi all

I'm currently retraining as a C# dev (1 year in). Working as a permie in a junior role learning my trade after several years contracting in an unrelated industry.

Interested in how you all gained your skills and how long it took to get to the point of being experienced enough to have initially moved into IT contracting? Computer Science degree followed by junior perm positions? Self taught then blagged the 1st contract?

Be interesting to hear some rags to riches stories

First Timers Guide - for IT Contractors :: Contractor UK

Like we are going to tell you

Comment

Studied geography, beer and girls at Poly, moved to Holland to play rugby for half a season for a Dutch club that was hiring a few mercenaries to stay in the premier division, met Lady Tester and worked on building sites until I'd learnt the language and then got a job at a water board doing population and water needs modelling; very interesting, quite an intelligent bunch of people, but severely underpaid. Then along came a chappy installing software that I had to test and his boss offered me a job, a company car I couldn't otherwise afford and a decent salary with bonus and training to do DBA work, so I was off. Then moved back to testing with an insultancy firm, then went freelance when I found that customers were phoning me instead of the 'account manager'.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Hardgraft View Post
        Hi all

I'm currently retraining as a C# dev (1 year in). Working as a permie in a junior role learning my trade after several years contracting in an unrelated industry.

Interested in how you all gained your skills and how long it took to get to the point of being experienced enough to have initially moved into IT contracting? Computer Science degree followed by junior perm positions? Self taught then blagged the 1st contract?

Be interesting to hear some rags to riches stories
        Started selling golf ball finders and moved on to minefield detectors. Boomed ever since
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

The internet arrived and I discovered I was one of the few experts in the country....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Grew up in small Welsh town and went to University and picked a sandwich course so I could work for a year. Got a job doing the maths on the holograms that you get on fighter pilot's visors but when I arrived they told me that they had lost that contract but would I mind helping with a computer program. I learned C++, MFC, OLE and Windows programming on the job alongside a contractor who really did not want me there and would lie through his teeth, refuse to document code, refuse to answer questions etc.

Went back to my degree and hated it as I realised it was pointless. Got a job in mid England as a programmer and moved down there. Forward 13 years of experience and I lost 2 perm jobs in the same year (one redundancy after numerous promises it would not happen and the other because the CTO did not want Windows programmers in his company ... and he had some mates who wanted jobs).

After being bullied out by that CTO and backstabbed by the other company I decided no one was ever going to do that to me again and I began applying for contract positions.

I got an interview, in which I did well and I also knew people on the team so I got in. The work was no harder than when I was a permie and I had not promised anything I could not deliver. They offered a renewal but I got a better offer which has renewed a few times and I am still there now.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Didn’t know anything about IT but one night I went to a very strange night club in Amsterdam. I met an agent who offered me PM role if he would take me up the arse in the back alleyway.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Blagged first one, been blagging since

Comment

Got bored with the tedious bit of being a Dungeon Master in the 80's and started writing applications on my ZX80, then ZX Spectrum to automate stuff

Spent over a decade as a accountant, got terminally bored and moved into software development instead (not via lion taming though)
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

At about age 25 decided I probably should get a proper job/career so went to job centre to ask for some training in IT. Did their basic IT course (word excel etc) and instructors noticed I had a natural affinity so sent me on 2 week work placement in IT dept at Citi.

Spent a couple of weeks building NT4 PCs and shadowing helpdesk bods until they gave me a temp summer job. From that got another perm job and permed in a few places for about 10 or so years, got a few certs then went contracting as soon as I could get one and get around the permie notice period thing.

I'm a BA now
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X