• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buggeridge on Friday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buggeridge on Friday

A while ago I posted on how one of my local pubs had been taken over by Islington luvvie media types and how I expected there to be a rapid erosion of the traditional country pub atmosphere.

Well, as much as it pains me to say it, it would appear that my predictions are coming to pass as the landlord of that pub is refusing to serve our local Sunday League football team their post match victuals - a privilege the club has been enjoying for 90 odd years - a move that outraged me enough to get the local press involved:

Mells and Vobster footballers fall out with pub over food | This is Somerset

As part time coach of the side, I've been taking my lads there every Sunday for the last 30 years or so and the various landlords that have run the place over the years have always given us a tray of roast potatoes that were surplus to the requirements of that day's Sunday roast on the understanding that we'd all get sloshed and spend our hard earned lucre at the bar.

It looks like we're just not welcome any more.

However, while it would appear that me and my lads aren't good enough for their metropolitan vibe, I notice that he doesn't mind pulling out all the stops for his wife's zumba group. In fact, just the other night, I spotted a whole bevvy of them enjoying an "on the house" nosh up of mung beans and quinoa.

And it doesn't stop there (and I lay the blame squarely at the feet of his wife who appears to be waging a personal vendetta against tradition male pub pursuits). Gone, now, are the pool table and fruitees and in their place a de facto wimmins' zone where local Mumsnetters can gather and crochet their uncomfortable undergarments from fairtrade Bolivian hemp. To add insult to injury, a considerable amount of square footage of the gents' lavatory was given over to meet this end while the ladies' conveniences, I might add, remain intact.

It's like walking in to a broom cupboard every time you need to take a leak. As a case in point, take a look at these space saving sinks that they've had to install to allow a sufficient thoroughfare for an individual to pass through while another chap is already stood at the trough:

Contrast this with the set up in the ladies:

Not only are the sinks generously proportioned but they come equipped with brushed stainless steel fittings and, judging from the sound of rushing air coming from within, I reckon they've got Dyson Airblades in there too while us blokes have to make do with a tatty old towel on a wooden roller.

Well, regardless of us not getting our free nosh, next time we're playing the boys from Banjo Island, I'm going to take them all up there and hope there is a repeat of the last match we played against them. An on-pitch scuffle will spill over into a full blown fracas in the pub and that'll have them all getting their pashminas in a right old twist....

You take a camera in to the ladies and only photograph the sinks
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Keeping plebby footballers out of pubs is good. Where is it? I might drop by this weekend for a "non chavvie footballer" beer (sorry make that a shandy)
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post

Well, as much as it pains me to say it, it would appear that my predictions are coming to pass as the landlord of that pub is refusing to serve our local Sunday League football team their post match victuals ...
        I don't blame him - In his place I'd ban any weirdo who asked for "victuals"

... while us blokes have to make do with a tatty old towel on a wooden roller...
        Are roller towels even legal any more? What's the pub called again, the Scabies Arms?
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Hi Malc!

It's difficult to believe in this day and age, when hundreds of pubs appear to be closing every month, that one of their number should feel comfortable in alienating many of its regulars.

Would a boycott by likeminded clientelle have an impact? Are there any alternative establishments within easy distance?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            You take a camera in to the ladies and only photograph the sinks
            Presumably he also took photos of the girls under the cubical doors there, but couldn't upload them as they are NSFW..

Comment

"The Mells and Vobster football team are obviously welcome at The Talbot any time but surely we cannot be held to ransom over an explicit demand for free food to entice the team down after the game.
              WHS. Pay for your grub like everyone else. Pikey.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                Hi Malc!

It's difficult to believe in this day and age, when hundreds of pubs appear to be closing every month, that one of their number should feel comfortable in alienating many of its regulars.

Would a boycott by likeminded clientelle have an impact? Are there any alternative establishments within easy distance?
                Indeed DS. I don't think he quite realises that he needs to acknowledge a few unwritten rules that us country types adhere to, particularly when it comes to traditions concerning the pub.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
                  Indeed DS. I don't think he quite realises that he needs to acknowledge a few unwritten rules that us country types adhere to, particularly when it comes to traditions concerning the pub.
                  It seems not Malc. Is he familiar with the Wicker Man?

Providing a comfortable ambience for the broad church of custom can be a delicate balancing act. The Bell, the last remaining pub in our village, was over a period of a few years turned into a 'drinking men's pub', if you know what I mean, which appears to be the opposite problem to the one you are experiencing.

For example, one landlord installed a long high bar, another introduced a giant Sky Sports screen in the main bar, and barmen were not dissuaded from slopping beer all over the shop as if they'd scooped it out of a horses trough. This slowly turned away the ladies, then anyone else who wanted a congenial evening in their village pub, leaving just a few diehard regular oiks.

Ultimately it had to close, was purchased by a property developer despite the efforts of the villagers to buy it themselves and run it properly, and has now been converted into a house with planning permission for two more to be built in the gardens.
                  Last edited by Doggy Styles; 12 October 2013, 00:47.

Comment

The gents in The Harp is incredibly narrow; if one washes one's hands and dries them, it's likely one will end up trapped in the far corner between two guys at the urinals and one attempting to enter or leave the cubicle. At such times, I like to cheerfully announce to my fellow lavatorians that the ladies has enough room for a dressing table with mirror at which a lady can touch up her makeup, and a small sofa so her friends have somewhere to sit and chat as they wait their turn

(I discovered this one Sunday night when the gents was up the creek, and we had to use the ladies by order of the management.)

Comment

Working...
                    X