• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£2 per lotto line, and smaller prizes I gather

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£2 per lotto line, and smaller prizes I gather

As most people know, the Lotto changed the rules a couple of weeks ago and now the cost of each line has doubled from £1 to £2

I gather they've also cut back on the prizes, including the jackpot. If so, it sounds to me like they've shot themselves in the foot.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    If so, it sounds to me like they've shot themselves in the foot.
    You've got stats on how their sales are doing now?

I reckon they'll collect more money this way, not in the first few weeks but over course of the year - stay tuned for "Camelot" (or whatever their name now is) to announce higher profits for shareholders...

Comment

Scratch cards went up ages ago, new game with lower prizes to compete with the health lottery went on sale in October.

National Lottery to raise price of Lotto ticket from £1 to £2 from October

No I don't do the lottery except a couple of times a year.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

"A Camelot spokeswoman responded to one comment by saying the organisation had spoken to more than 26,000 lottery players before introducing the price increase."

"Players told us they wanted more ways to win more money," she said. "The increase in price was needed to achieve this."

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          You've got stats on how their sales are doing now?

I reckon they'll collect more money this way, not in the first few weeks but over course of the year - stay tuned for "Camelot" (or whatever their name now is) to announce higher profits for shareholders...
          Its still Camelot but it is owned by the Ontario Teachers' Pension Fund. Has been for a few years now.

Camelot’s vision is 'To serve nations’ dreams with integrity, and diversify, with a flourishing UK National Lottery at its heart.’

Owned by the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (Teachers’), Camelot is structured on a group model, with five operating companies:
          • Camelot UK Lotteries Limited is the regulated company dedicated to operating the core UK National Lottery business – responsible for sales, marketing, customer operations, IT, regulation and player services.
          • Camelot Global Services Limited provides consultancy and private management services to lotteries worldwide.
          • Camelot Strategic Solutions Limited develops and delivers solutions, programmes and project-management support for the group.
          • Camelot Business Solutions Limited provides group-wide corporate support services such as public relations, finance, procurement, legal, propriety, facilities management, and HR.
          • Camelot Commercial Services Limited develops market solutions to offer commercial services like mobile phone top-ups and bill payments

Comment

Dark Age of Camelot that is ...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              As most people know, the Lotto changed the rules a couple of weeks ago and now the cost of each line has doubled from £1 to £2

I gather they've also cut back on the prizes, including the jackpot. If so, it sounds to me like they've shot themselves in the foot.
              I thought they'd only redistributed the winnings?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I thought they'd only redistributed the winnings?
                The sole reason most people buy lottery tickets is for the remote chance of winning the jackpot (although maybe many punters don't fully appreciate how remote their chances are).

The lesser prizes, even for five and the bonus, are derisory considering their odds and hardly worth taking into account.

So on that basis, "flattening" the prize distribution, if this involves reducing the jackpot, is bad psychology even if it sounds fairer and increases the number of piddling little prizes.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Does anyone here actually do the lottery? I've never done it, wouldn't have a clue how to! Surely, there's no point?
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Maybe a couple of times in my life. I'd only really be tempted to buy a ticket to a gigantic rollover or Euro-jackpot or something, but never have.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X