• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What makes a tyrant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes a tyrant?

Most people would look to the likes of Stalin, Pol Pot or Vlad the Impaler as examples of tyrants, but our very own Benn0 thinks Margaret Thatcher was one, so what tyrannical qualities did she have?

Originally posted by wendigo100
    Most people would look to the likes of Stalin, Pol Pot or Vlad the Impaler as examples of tyrants, but our very own Benn0 thinks Margaret Thatcher was one, so what tyrannical qualities did she have?
    Handbag wielding.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Maggie was a tyrant in the same way Tony Blair is. I.e. she got to a stage where she thought she could do whatever she wanted however unpopular. For example the community charge, many of her own senior collegues tried to persuade her against, telling her that it would be unpopular, but she did it anyway, and ultimately paid the price.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

unpopular, but she did it anyway

Originally posted by Bagpuss
        Maggie was a tyrant in the same way Tony Blair is. I.e. she got to a stage where she thought she could do whatever she wanted however unpopular. For example the community charge, many of her own senior collegues tried to persuade her against, telling her that it would be unpopular, but she did it anyway, and ultimately paid the price.
        Yes, it's called sticking to principles. The right thing to do is the right thing to do, whether or not it's perceived as right by those with their own agenda.
        Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
          Yes, it's called sticking to principles. The right thing to do is the right thing to do, whether or not it's perceived as right by those with their own agenda.
          I guess this isn't a defence of Tony Blair?
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Actually it is in the cases where

Originally posted by Bagpuss
            I guess this isn't a defence of Tony Blair?
            he's made the right choices.
            The problem with Mr Bliar is that he (might) want(s) to do the right thing but he also wants to be popular (rock and a hard place, anyone), whereas I doubt Thatcher gave a stuff about popularity, one of the traits of the dictator, I suppose.
            Why not?

Comment

Working...
            X