• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Employers face ethnic quotas for public work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: Employers face ethnic quotas for public work

The Times
    COMPANIES that bid for multimillion-pound Government contracts will be rejected if they do not employ enough black and Asian workers, under new proposals seen by The Times.

A powerful committee that includes seven ministers has drawn up plans to question competing companies about their attitudes to race before choosing which to employ.

Firms will be asked to provide figures showing the numbers of their black and Asian employees. This figure will be compared with the proportion of people from ethnic minorities living near the company’s offices and will be a factor when deciding the winning bid.
    If anything is guaranteed to cause racial friction in industry, this is it.

Furthermore, quota systems inherently reduce quality.

My company will only employ people of a certain small tribe located in the Amazon jungle.

So far applicants have been few and far between.

Comment

I wonder if the companies could get away with 'we don't have a definite figure'.

Works for the Home Office every time.

Are they only interested in race, or nationaility? Should they not be asking how many British people do you employ?

And I doubt anyone asks companies such as Tata 'how many white people do you employ'.
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

This explains why so many Government contracts go tits up - it doesn't matter if the staff can't do the job as long as they meet the demographic requirements

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Are they head hunters?
          "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Working...
          X