• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent sleaze number 107

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent sleaze number 107

Agent: So we want to put you forward for this role but your availability is a problem.
    Me: Well, as I said to your colleague I'm currently contracted till the end of December. I've committed to stay to the end of this project. This new role sounds great, and you'll have a hard time finding those niche skills, but if they can't wait two months then I'm not interested.
    Agent: Well we can look at your current contract for you. There are always loopholes. Even if you are under contract they'll never sue if you leave early.
    Me: ...
    Agent: And you don't want to be looking for a new role round christmas. You'll find it hard to find anything at all.

It's depressing dealing with these kind of people.

Don't let it get to you. Explaining that you have loyalty or a desire to see things through to the end will not really translate to that type of agent.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
      Agent: So we want to put you forward for this role but your availability is a problem.
      Me: Well, as I said to your colleague I'm currently contracted till the end of December. I've committed to stay to the end of this project. This new role sounds great, and you'll have a hard time finding those niche skills, but if they can't wait two months then I'm not interested.
      Agent: Well we can look at your current contract for you. There are always loopholes. Even if you are under contract they'll never sue if you leave early.
      Agent: And you don't want to be looking for a new role round christmas. You'll find it hard to find anything at all.

It's depressing dealing with these kind of people.
      Unfortunately there are many contractors that will jump at the drop of a hat so unfortunately our community is the cause for this attitude. It isn't always the agents fault.

I don't see what you are moaning about here.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I agree we do now live in age where morality, commitment and your word ain't worth jack tulip

if there is money to be made and the contract has a loop hole then it is done.

fck morals

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Unfortunately there are many contractors that will jump at the drop of a hat so unfortunately our community is the cause for this attitude. It isn't always the agents fault.

I don't see what you are moaning about here.
          WNLUKS

I've been asked before to jump - just say "No".
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            WNLUKS

I've been asked before to jump - just say "How much".
            FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              WNLUKS

I've been asked before to jump - just say "No".
              What Zammo says.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                I agree we do now live in age where morality, commitment and your word ain't worth jack tulip

if there is money to be made and the contract has a loop hole then it is done.

fck morals
                unfortunately its an attitude that comes from many employers as well.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  unfortunately its an attitude that comes from many employers as well.
                  Exactly so. I've seen how my kids have been treated by employers. I used to think it was shocking that young people would take days off without phoning in sick, leave a job not by resigning but by stopping showing up, generally skive. Now I think that what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, i.e. treat people like tulip, expect to be treated like tulip.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Exactly so. I've seen how my kids have been treated by employers. I used to think it was shocking that young people would take days off without phoning in sick, leave a job not by resigning but by stopping showing up, generally skive. Now I think that what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, i.e. treat people like tulip, expect to be treated like tulip.
                    I've read this twice and I'm still not sure - are you defending such behaviour by employees?

If so, doesn't it breed unprofessionalism, and moreover, the next generation of bad employers?

Comment

Working...
                    X