• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cost of quitting early?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of quitting early?

I've been at my current gig for a year and the contract lasts until next June. It has a 4 week notice period in the contract. I won't go through all the reasons for bailing early but it's going to be very quiet until January and there's a few of us so 4 weeks or none won't make any difference to the end client. I'm contracted to an agency and they have a contract with a company with a fixed price contract with the end client. As I see it the only one who will be concerned at me going early, say 2 weeks, will be the agent.

I accept that the agency will want compensating, as I see it, if I leave 2 weeks early then they should be entitled to their commission on the 2 weeks I won't be working, is this correct?

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    As I see it the only one who will be concerned at me going early, say 2 weeks, will be the agent.
    What about your conscience?

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
      I've been at my current gig for a year and the contract lasts until next June. It has a 4 week notice period in the contract. I won't go through all the reasons for bailing early but it's going to be very quiet until January and there's a few of us so 4 weeks or none won't make any difference to the end client. I'm contracted to an agency and they have a contract with a company with a fixed price contract with the end client. As I see it the only one who will be concerned at me going early, say 2 weeks, will be the agent.

I accept that the agency will want compensating, as I see it, if I leave 2 weeks early then they should be entitled to their commission on the 2 weeks I won't be working, is this correct?
      That is their call and not yours and their opinion in these matters tends to be completely different. Who ever lets you go has his ass on the line if work comes in and you are gone and there is also the matter of getting someone else in and reskilling. Both of which are risks to the client so he may not see it as simply as you... but he might. Worth giving it a go if it's what you want though.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        As I said, it will make no difference to the client if I give 4 weeks notice or walk out tomorrow, I'm totally bored and it won't change until January. If it's accepted that I'm going, the sooner the better for everyone but the agency. I've already indicated that I'm willing to make up the shortfall for the agency, ie. 2 weeks commission for them.

I have no conscience with the agency (goes without saying, but they are the worst I have worked for) the subcontractors are also have very sharp practices, the end client won't give a damn, I'm not leaving anything half finished.

Comment

Why not find a sub? IR35 win and could make a bob or two per day on top if you can get him in at a lower rate?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think you need to read you contract and find the part about reserving the right to not accept work from them then exercise that and tell the agency to swivel on their compensation (cheeky taunts)

Or you STFU quit the whining and find a project that will improve your skills. Seems to me you can spend the next 10 weeks doing free training while you are paid in full.

Comment

Dunno never done it
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Why leave in 2 weeks? Unless you have a role to go to and they need you to start in 2 why not just hand your notice in work the 4 weeks enjoy the bit of extra money then leave? By the sounds of it it will be an easy 4 weeks and easy money unless you hate the place.

Comment

What BS said. Use the time to your advantage; look at your weaknesses and train to strengthen them; you're saving yourself thousands in training fees, bringing your skill set up to date and are not bored. Plus, the biggy, you keep billing.

I've made the decision of putting in my notice early as I was bored before, and it's a mistake, a big one.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    I had one of those for a while; it cost me a tulipload of money and gave me nothing but stress, so I got rid of it.

To OP; be very careful; I walked early once and lost about a month's turnover; would have been more if not for getting a solicitor to write some polite but persuasive letters.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X