• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You can't trust them as far as you could throw them

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can't trust them as far as you could throw them

U-Turn on care for elderly

...It seemed to be a policy, and a promise, set in stone. Now, it appears to be nothing of the sort.
    There has been no great Government announcement — in fact, the U-turn has been slipped out in virtual secrecy....

...The Government had promised to ring-fence people’s homes by offering a deferred payment scheme that would allow the state to recover the cost of care (up to a capped level of £72,000) from estates after death....

...However, this may not now be so. The promise of a universal scheme of deferred payments for care, whether residential or in the elderly person’s own home, may be diluted so that homeowners with assets (excluding their house) over £23,500 would be forced to run them down to that level before qualifying for help.
    Mr Lamb this week even had the gall to describe such a sum as a ‘vast amount of money’, and that anyone with such assets in the bank must be ‘quite wealthy'
    Out with the LibLabCon!!

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    U-Turn on care for elderly

Out with the LibLabCon!!
    Yes indeed. I notice we're getting all the usual "a vote for <insert fringe party here> = a vote for labour" nonsense.

In the past, I've paid heed to this.

Not this time.

Yes, the economy is starting to boom but this isn't any 1980s style boom giving aspiration to the average person. No, for mr & mrs average everything is getting more expensive and they see declining living standards and only the top echelon of society getting richer. Filthy rich in fact.

It's time we stick the boot into these shysters and charlatans who have been peddling lies and half truths while getting their snouts further into the trough and vote for a party that will represent the people instead of big business, the EU, or any global agenda.

I hate to say it but I did vote Tory last time around. Never again - total con merchants the lot of them. Just the sight of Cameron on TV has me spitting nails

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
      Yes indeed. I notice we're getting all the usual "a vote for <insert fringe party here> = a vote for labour" nonsense.

In the past, I've paid heed to this.

Not this time.

Yes, the economy is starting to boom but this isn't any 1980s style boom giving aspiration to the average person. No, for mr & mrs average everything is getting more expensive and they see declining living standards and only the top echelon of society getting richer. Filthy rich in fact.

It's time we stick the boot into these shysters and charlatans who have been peddling lies and half truths while getting their snouts further into the trough and vote for a party that will represent the people instead of big business, the EU, or any global agenda.

I hate to say it but I did vote Tory last time around. Never again - total con merchants the lot of them. Just the sight of Cameron on TV has me spitting nails
      The control of the power and wealth is being discretely taken over by the rich and powerful. The EU through legislation the government through Health and safety and the FCA and other "regulators" are making it impossible for people to start new businesses. Do not bother to try and get onto a PSL of a large company unless you can tick all the right boxes and pass stringent due diligence checks - so even in our low level industry it is happening. Property in London is as someone correctly pointed out beyond the reach of just about every first time buyer and is being used as a reserve currency.

Look at any industry and it is being regulated and taken over by larger entities. We are in the grip of control from above that is getting ever more powerful.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I heard acouple of politicians yesterday saying how appalling folk with over 23k have to pay for care as "it isnt enough to pay for a copy of the Racing Post /presents for the grandchildren." Obviously oblivious that this is the current situaion for anyone getting care at home. Folk getting home care also have to pay a contribution consisting of up to any income over income support plus 25%, which means lots decide they cannot afford care and refuse to have it.

Spending down to 23k and then getting a loan against the house until death for people going into ahome is actually just what happens now. It was always going to be incredibly expensive to do anything else. I have to ask why people should be able to inherit limitless assets while the state pays for their parents care. All this emotive talk about selling their home , well it isnt their home any more if the are going into permannt care, frankly. Before you start, I am one who would lose my inheritance quite easily if my parents had to go into care.

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
          I heard acouple of politicians yesterday saying how appalling folk with over 23k have to pay for care as "it isnt enough to pay for a copy of the Racing Post /presents for the grandchildren." Obviously oblivious that this is the current situaion for anyone getting care at home. Folk getting home care also have to pay a contribution consisting of up to any income over income support plus 25%, which means lots decide they cannot afford care and refuse to have it.

Spending down to 23k and then getting a loan against the house until death for people going into ahome is actually just what happens now. It was always going to be incredibly expensive to do anything else. I have to ask why people should be able to inherit limitless assets while the state pays for their parents care. All this emotive talk about selling their home , well it isnt their home any more if the are going into permannt care, frankly. Before you start, I am one who would lose my inheritance quite easily if my parents had to go into care.
          Because invariably these are people who have been diligent with their finances during their working lives and have doubtlessly made significant contributions in tax and NI. Personally, I think the state should do more. If it didn't reward the feckless the state would also be more than able to pay for it.

This, if anything, encourages fecklessness.

Comment

Exackly.

Why bother saving for old age when, if you do, you'll have no more money than if you hadn't?

Comment

Believe me, you are still far better off having money than not having any. Councils pay so liitle for care they commission it is at the bottom of the quality pile.

Lots of the self funders I see have inherited money, not everyone is self made. Im not against people inheriting money, in fact I rather hope to inherit some myself.

I would rather everyone paid their taxes then everyone got a decent existence in old age. But then the very newspapers screaming about people selling their homes would be screaming about how overtaxed we are.

Comment

Believe me, you are still far better off having money than not having any. Councils pay so liitle for care they commission it is at the bottom of the quality pile.
                But the problem is, if you live long enough that's where you're likely to end up regardless of how much dosh you have.

Somewhere like this costs about a grand a week.

So if you have a property worth 200K and 100K in savings, that'll see you through for about six years - you pay the lot till you hit the threshold.

Then the council will only pay what they think care should cost, so your family foots the rest, or you move into a cheaper home.

Problem is you don't know how long you're going to live for - at 80, you could assume that six years is going to be enough, then live to 95.

Dunno what the answer is.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  FTFY.
                  How do you work that one out?

Believe me lots of the monied classes are very good at beating the system , get Mama to sign over the house worth half a mil, the council picks up the tab when she goes into care.
                  Last edited by socialworker; 16 October 2013, 09:56.

Comment

How do you work that one out?

Believe me lots of the monied classes are very good at beating the system , get Mama to sign over the house worth half a mil, the council picks up the tab when she goes into care.
                    In-laws (not well off by any means) phoned last week - they'd had someone contact them about a trust scheme which would make sure their house was 'safe'. Sounded like the OAP equivalent of our dodgy tax schemes.

Comment

Working...
                    X