• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hmm. 80 min train journey each way......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm. 80 min train journey each way......

Probably spoilt because this is about average with you lot from the south....
    Would mean (probably) train at 6-30am ish (10 min drive to train station) getting to office at 8-15am (10 min walk other end). Then hopefully, getting home about 6-30pm.

Might work - as I've said before it depends on the client I guess.

Cost wise season ticket aint too bad. Works out £42 a day. Driving probably not an option because its 100+ miles so 2 hrs+.

Anyone else suck up such a train journey? Obviously, trains have their disadvantages and advantages but wondered how much it does your head in.....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

80mins on train is luxury...

Comment

Once it gets over £40 travelling, might as well consider finding a travelodge or B&B close to the end client

The cost difference will be minimal
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I did 80 min train journey every day, - Leeds - Manchester, season ticket was only £250 a mo...

Comment

That's hardly a killer journey, and given you need to get home for your wife [from what you've posted before], you appear to have little choice.

Some of us have much shorter journeys, some of us stay over, some of us have much worse journeys.

Such is the life of a contractor.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

It's great if you've got the space in the train to sit down and do a bit of studying and brush up the CV. Worked for a while, but unfortunately trains here in NL are usually overcrowded so you can't get anything done, so these days if I have a long journey I get a hotel room for a couple of nights a week.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Do the exact same journey as myself, not an issue and get used to it very quickly. Pay £700 a month season ticket.

Comment

When I'm in London my trip is:
                10 min drive to station.
                15 min train to mainline station.
                25 minute wait.
                45 minute train to Waterloo.
                However long walking / tube to client.

I can normally leave home just before 07:00 to get to a client for 09:00, and then expect to get home either 19:30 or 20:00, depending on connections back to my local station.

Of course, this is when there aren't major delays, or, as was happening for a period last year, 3 or 4 trains in a row being cancelled from the local station.

Comment

I wouldn't like to do it, although probably 80min on a train would be preferable to 45min by car (for me). The early morning would be the killer for me, but if you've kids(?) that mightn't be a factor... home at 6.30pm actually sounds just fine as long as you can relax on the train home rather than be shattered by it.

If the train is crowded and horrible, no way. The train condition would be a massive factor here for me, so much so I might even go down for the day to try it out.

If I could swing 1st class, that would be great. A nap in the morning, read a book or watch a DVD on the way home with a nice coffee/coke/beer and arrive chilled to spend time with the family.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    I did 80 min train journey every day, - Leeds - Manchester, season ticket was only £250 a mo...
                    Surely you mean a week? This is £220/week
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X