• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily car commute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily car commute

What are you daily car commute limits?

For me, 1 hr each way is a doddle, but 2 hrs each way every day it too much.

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post

about an hour. Anything above that would be a real pain when things snarl up....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      about an hour. Anything above that would be a real pain when things snarl up....
      acceptable commute is proportional to daily rate on offer....

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        acceptable commute is proportional to daily rate on offer....
        Nope I know my limits. Over an hour and it won't be a daily commute. I will stay over twice a week. Moneywise a night or two in a cheap hotel doesn't cost much and I like my sleep
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

60-90 mins is bearable.
          anything over that, a pain.
          I think whether the time is spent on motorways, or stuck in traffic, makes a difference, as in jams you really feel the time being wasted.

Comment

I will do a 2 hour drive each way max and stay over a couple of nights a week to break up the weekly commute. With out staying over probably just an hour.
            Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

It depends on the traffic, if it's 60+ mins sat in jams I tend to just rent a place within strolling distance or 5 mins in the car, I've spent far too much of my life sat in traffic jams as I spent a lot of my early career in field engineering, installations and support. I'd rather stop over than put up with heavy traffic.

With several years of working from home, I really resent time wasted in commuting traffic.
              Last edited by TykeMerc; 16 October 2013, 20:35.

Comment

In an XJR, no limit as long as there are no jams, but hotels are cheaper than the bloody petrol.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post

2-3 minutes, on foot. Anything more I start complaining.

The joys of having the office across the road from the apartment.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Two hours is about the limit but only if I get WFH after a few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                    X