• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know anything about an HP Labs fixed term contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know anything about an HP Labs fixed term contract?

It's early days yet but I've applied through a Web form for a "fixed term contract" of two years on HP's Web site. It's such early days I've got no contact to ask what their idea of a FTC is. At other companies I've seen FTCs, rang up about them and found out they want to:
    • treat you like a permie; and
    • pay you like a permie

So basically it looks like there's not a lot in it for you.

I can't find this out about the HP Labs contract yet but does anyone out there know about what HP do?

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
    does anyone out there know about what HP do?
    Anything from Data Centres to Brown Sauce and all the bits in between.

Comment

Most of the profits come from printer ink, everything else is a side issue

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
        Anything from Data Centres to Brown Sauce and all the bits in between.
        Ha! Yeah I suppose I meant to say does anyone know what Hewlett Packard's idea of a fixed term contract comprises.

Comment

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
          • treat you like a contractor; and
          • pay you like a permie

FTFY
          World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
            FTFY
            Ha! Yeah I think I meant treat you like a permie, but what you've put is equally applicable!

I managed to get hold of someone from HP who I met once and it seems like their FTC thing is basically permie, except they want to give you a new contract every two years so you never get any employee rights. I wouldn't mind but it'll be rubbish permie money too.

If you ever find yourself filling out a huge Web application for a "fixed term contract" save yourself the time and don't!

Comment

Do a search on the forums for FTC. We have been over them a number of times. Use the google method though as the search on here won't pick it up.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Do a search on the forums for FTC. We have been over them a number of times. Use the google method though as the search on here won't pick it up.
                Cheers. I'm familiar with fixed term contracts because I had a company try it on with me before. I just hoped HP's idea of a FTC might be different, but alas not it seems.

Comment

Working...
                X