• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The OFFICIAL Share Investment Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The OFFICIAL Share Investment Thread

By the sounds of it there are a few investors on the forum, those who tried to get in on the Royal Mail float, the recent thread about GSK and now VODA so thought it might be good to have a thread dedicated to investing, and see how other amateurs compare (with the obligatory by GOLD post by you know who).

I now have a portfolio of 21 companies, mostly blue chip with a high dividend yield, but some like VODA, CSR, AV and BA have given me value gains of between 25% and 40% with a yield of about 4% on top of that.

My biggest allocation is in Lloyds with 36% of my entire holding in one company, but as I bought them at 44p I am slowly brining this down and distributing it between my others.

For those who care my shares and holdings in each are:

11.10% AV
    1.78% BA
    2.17% BBY
    6.76% BATS
    2.06% BRBY
    3.23% CSR
    2.09% DGE
    3.06% FGP
    10.29% GSK
    2.91% KCOM
    36.13% LLOY
    2.81% NG
    6.56% RIO
    2.11% RMG
    1.15% SSE
    1.10% TSCO
    1.01% ULVR
    3.67% VOD

With BP and BNLD on my watch list
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    With BP and BNLD on my watch list
    Why is BrilloPad on your watch list?

Comment

And did SMac get your approval for this thread's official status?

Being a complete noob, I've bought some stuff without really having a clue what I'm doing. At what point do you stop checking every 10 minutes to see how rich you are?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Being a complete noob, I've bought some stuff without really having a clue what I'm doing. At what point do you stop checking every 10 minutes to see how rich you are?
        When you realise it's easier just to buy into a selection of tracker funds and stop worrying about it.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

18 months plus and I still do it
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

When you die
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

TSCO 7.9%
              UU 11.1%
              BP 5.0%
              BLND 2.1%
              GSK 2.4%
              HSBA 5.8%
              SSE 8.9%
              VOD 4.4%
              MKS 2.0%
              AV 18.1%
              LLOY 16.9%
              BARC 3.0%
              DLG 1.8%
              SVT 6.8%
              RMG 1.0%

Actually a combination of Mrs pjc's and mine own SIPP portfolios. Approach is long term buy and hold (hope), little or no no tinkering, favouring high yielding blue chips, mainly financials and utilities. Latest purchase was 2 lots of the Royal Mail Group giveaway which brought retirement a few hours nearer and which I am hanging on to ....

I pay some cash in monthly and buy when (a) the free cash in a portfolio is above a grand and (b) there's a stock I like the look of. Can't be bothered to work out the annual return properly, but it's been running about 4 years and according to Google Finance it is worth 25% more than the money that's gone into it.

I was also overweight in LLOY (and the portfolio is too heavy in financials, hoovered up during the crash) but sold a load when the price hit 70p.

And yes, although its a 'buy and forget' model, I check it daily.....
              My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
              X