• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Minimum price for a decent property in London ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum price for a decent property in London ...

...seems to be about £500K. That would be for a flat. For a modest house in a nice area, it's more like a million. How very depressing.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru
    ...seems to be about £500K
    No. There are many parts where you spend much less and some are just as nice. Problem is that you need to know where they are and it's hard to know, London being such a vast town.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
      No. There are many parts where you spend much less and some are just as nice. Problem is that you need to know where they are and it's hard to know, London being such a vast town.
      I don't think so. You get what you pay for - there are no bargains.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

i.e. example Lewisham/Catford is bad but there are many nice parts just not far away for the same price. You can get something nice for 250k perhaps. But then if you look at Blackheath you have to spend 500k because then people can show that they belong to a superior class status (which seems to be the most important thing here). Living in Unknowingham which might be a very nice area, with nice school, with reasonable crime and not far from the center does not sound very appealing to the average Joe English.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Living in Unknowingham which might be a very nice area, with nice school, with reasonable crime and not far from the center does not sound very appealing to the average Joe English.
          Name one such area and I'll eat my hat. It just doesn't exist.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Bromley, Brockley, Beckenham, some parts of Dulwich.... there is a long list where you can buy something decent for 250k.

Comment

Ahhh, mum's the word. Don't want any old property speculator moving in on my patch.

Comment

Bromley, Brockley, Beckenham, some parts of Dulwich.... there is a long list where you can buy something decent for 250k.
                Not exactly happening places are they, nor very central. Isn't Beckenham in Kent, anyway?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

But then if you look at Blackheath you have to spend 500k because then people can show that they belong to a superior class status (which seems to be the most important thing here).
                  Is n't that true of other big cities around the world?

For example, Paris. Where the well-to-do all live in certain arondissements and wouldn't dream of living in others!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack
                    Ahhh, mum's the word. Don't want any old property speculator moving in on my patch.
                    Waiting for the inevitable crash so I can move in. (cue LordLoser, no doubt). Not many people know that the US housing market has started a free-fall. How long before it hits here?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X