• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blacklisting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blacklisting

Have searched the forum to see if there are any legalities on this, especially where we are concerned, am also aware that there is currently negotiations going on for the construction industry after the global blacklisting some workers had for years.

So is this legal? Would appear not from what I read on the construction industry case that is ongoing.

Reason I ask is finished a gig and got two interviews for a new one, one face to face , the other via phone. I got a response from the telephone one first and said yes to the agency, please send the contract over, they said start date was Monday. Monday came and went and no contact, I emailed them and called and midweek they said they were waiting for a PO and it should be the following Monday.

On the other one was awaiting feedback and that was my preferential role. I hadn't signed no contract in relation to the telephone one and wasn't happy about their payment terms. I asked them to pay me weekly as I prefer this. I normally find when you secure a role then you have a bit of leverage in this. The pimp referred it to the Finance Director who said they could pay me after the first week but then I had to wait 5 weeks before next payment and they would pay weekly thereafter. I wasn't happy about this.

I then got the feedback from the other role, the one I preferred and accepted that, signed contract and all good. I notified the other agency that I would not be taking them up on the contract apologising etc. I then get this email from the Finance Director:

Code:
    Am absolutely let down by you Boney M.

It is highly unprofessional indeed.

We bent over backwards to accommodate you and this is how you behave – quite frankly it’s a disgrace and you will be blacklisted.
    Now, I dont see how they bent over backwards, they kept me out of the loop for over a week changing start date, waiting for a PO etc and as for the weekly pay, never bent over backwards as far as I was concerned. The issue I have is them saying I will be blacklisted, are they able to? I am in no doubt that this occurs under the covers as such but not so blatant as in a email like that.

thoughts anyone?

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
    Have searched the forum to see if there are any legalities on this, especially where we are concerned, am also aware that there is currently negotiations going on for the construction industry after the global blacklisting some workers had for years.

So is this legal? Would appear not from what I read on the construction industry case that is ongoing.

Reason I ask is finished a gig and got two interviews for a new one, one face to face , the other via phone. I got a response from the telephone one first and said yes to the agency, please send the contract over, they said start date was Monday. Monday came and went and no contact, I emailed them and called and midweek they said they were waiting for a PO and it should be the following Monday.

On the other one was awaiting feedback and that was my preferential role. I hadn't signed no contract in relation to the telephone one and wasn't happy about their payment terms. I asked them to pay me weekly as I prefer this. I normally find when you secure a role then you have a bit of leverage in this. The pimp referred it to the Finance Director who said they could pay me after the first week but then I had to wait 5 weeks before next payment and they would pay weekly thereafter. I wasn't happy about this.

I then got the feedback from the other role, the one I preferred and accepted that, signed contract and all good. I notified the other agency that I would not be taking them up on the contract apologising etc. I then get this email from the Finance Director:

Code:
    Am absolutely let down by you Boney M.

It is highly unprofessional indeed.

We bent over backwards to accommodate you and this is how you behave – quite frankly it’s a disgrace and you will be blacklisted.
    Now, I dont see how they bent over backwards, they kept me out of the loop for over a week changing start date, waiting for a PO etc and as for the weekly pay, never bent over backwards as far as I was concerned. The issue I have is them saying I will be blacklisted, are they able to? I am in no doubt that this occurs under the covers as such but not so blatant as in a email like that.

thoughts anyone?
    Usually when I see a post about blacklisting I try to flog the poster my special Oude Joris product to delist, but in this case WTF?

Big company, small company?

Comment

Forget it, he's just angry - if they think they can make money off you in the future they will jump all over you like you are all best friends.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I can only presume he means internally. I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Some people really do need to think a little, apply some common sense and above all grow some.. Blacklisting my arse. He is pissed and dropping bombs on you. Don't get so uptight about it.

WMUNS as well.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What t'others have said ^^
            I certainly wouldn't be worrying about it....
            latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

I know it is not a global blacklist and not to bothered, more fecked off with the email like I was bound when infact I wasn't and said subject to contract. Not fussed that they have done it internally, sounds like I am better off without them.

Not uptight about it NLUK, it's the irony of their unprofessionalism, I have never had such a response and if they had got their act together and not messed me about it might have been different. I am glad in the 7-10 days waiting for them I didnt cancel the other interview. Just never had this sort of response before even when been in this situation whereby I had a couple of contracts to choose.

@Old Greg, smallish firm but with some big hitters as clients.

Comment

I know it is not a global blacklist and not to bothered, more fecked off with the email like I was bound when infact I wasn't and said subject to contract. Not fussed that they have done it internally, sounds like I am better off without them.

Not uptight about it NLUK, it's the irony of their unprofessionalism, I have never had such a response and if they had got their act together and not messed me about it might have been different. I am glad in the 7-10 days waiting for them I didnt cancel the other interview. Just never had this sort of response before even when been in this situation whereby I had a couple of contracts to choose.

@Old Greg, smallish firm but with some big hitters as clients.
                If it was me I would ping off a reply telling him exactly why he lost you and ask him if he wants any help putting his toys back in his pram...

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
                  If it was me I would ping off a reply telling him exactly why he lost you and ask him if he wants any help putting his toys back in his pram...
                  I was inclined to do this and also state I would be making various other contractors aware blah blah blah.

By the way it was a female finance director

Comment

I was inclined to do this and also state I would be making various other contractors aware blah blah blah.

By the way it was a female finance director
                    Forward it to the Chairman and ask if they can clarify their position on blacklisting.

Comment

Working...
                    X