• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nice restaurant in London?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice restaurant in London?

Taking Mrs MUN for a surprise meal in London on Tuesday. I was going to go to the steak house in Harrods but I recall someone mentioning a nicer/posher one?

Unfortunately my background is not one which involved expensive restaurants so I know little about it (only second year as a contractor). I thought of Harrods simply because even I know that it is a 'posh' place, for all I know the food is horrible!

Anyone got any suggestions for a nice restaurant in London suitable for a surprise anniversary meal?
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

The Hawksmoor is my favourite. Best steak you will ever have.

Comment

Budget? Food style? Relaxed or Posh?

Start at the Wolesley and work down to something with availability.
      World's Best Martini

Comment

Would have to agree with Bunk, Hawksmoor for me too. If you dont mind getting a bit messy, Bodeans Soho, downstairs not upstairs is another favourite of mine

Hawksmoor
        Bodeans

Downstairs 360 view: Link

Comment

+1 for Hawksmoor. Nom nom.

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
            Budget? Food style? Relaxed or Posh?

Start at the Wolesley and work down to something with availability.
            Budget - say £200 or so a head
            Food style - not Chinese or Indian
            Posh as realistically possible

Any particular hawksmoor? There seem to be several.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I've only been to Spitalfields (with Grub Club). They did nice cocktails too.

It's not posh as in you have to dress up (we were in jeans I think), but it was excellent.

Grub club also went to Murano - Home - which was much posher and excellent (posh) food - depends what you're after really. If it's steak, you want Hawksmoor.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

FFS have some class man

Kateh: Persian Restaurant in Warwick, London
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Depends of course on your budget, but if we're going posh...

Rules on Maiden Lane Covent Garden, claims to be London's oldest restaurant, good atmosphere, does British food done well. Has a lot of character.

The Ivy, gets a lot of celebs, posh but is actually easier to get a booking than nearly everyone thinks if you book properly in advance, good call for a birthday if you remember in enough time, wine can be affordable or bite your leg off, you choose.

Club Gascon Smithfield, hardcore French Michellin starred but actually good.

Le Café Du Marche, less hardcore French, decent food

River Restaurant, Savoy. Obviously posh, good service, not as expensive as you might think as long as you don't get carried away with the wine list. Sometimes there is dancing at the end of the evening with a band (no Belgian techno)

The Swan at Shakespeare's Globe. Good atmosphere, nice setting, good food, not quite as posh/expensive as above. Disclosure: They don't let me pay when I eat/drink there.

Oxo Tower. Food is usually OK, stunning views, reasonably posh.
                  (IMO the best restaurant view in London is actually the top floor of Strada in More London, but this is a chain Pizza/Pasta, good but not posh)

Tower 42. Just say no

Searcys at the Gherkin, a good venue for small but expensive parties.
                  My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

Hawksmoor isn't posh. It's a nice place to go for a steak and chips.

I would say;

Gauthier Soho - beautiful food, very posh.
                    L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, upstairs for dinner, downstairs at the bar for lunch.
                    Le Gavroche - everyone should go at least once.
                    Last edited by Lockhouse; 19 October 2013, 09:12.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X