• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Saved from burn-out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saved from burn-out

One week to the bench and I will be able to catch up with sleep and other things in my personal life.

This gig I'm in has been the worst workload I have ever seen. I asked for resources to help and was told yes but they weren't available yet so I was unable to delegate much at all. Most of team including other PMs and those in PMO are working stupid hours, not just the odd week here and there but on a prolonged basis and every weekend people are spending time catching up with what they should have done in the week.

By Friday I am shattered and I feel like a zombie on Saturday.

I could not have carried on like that on top of the 2 hour each way commute - the silver lining on the benched cloud is that I have been saved from burn-out.

Having said that I have spent all day so far (Sunday) still working - is there a general trend on gigs to push everyone harder than ever now or I am in a one-off?
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Brits just working themselves to an early grave.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post

Having said that I have spent all day so far (Sunday) still working - is there a general trend on gigs to push everyone harder than ever now or I am in a one-off?
      You should have agreed to mutually part ways once the client decided they couldn't give you the resources they needed.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You should have made a business decision. If you are being asked to do in excess of your contract, terminate it.

I turned down a long extension to the last one for similar reasons. New gig is turning out better in many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          You should have agreed to mutually part ways once the client decided they couldn't give you the resources they needed.
          Well they said they could give me resources, once it was clear that they could not then the agreement to part ways was put in place and my last week is coming up.
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Yup leave.

Now gone perm, must say it is a bit stressful at times and one of the guys in the team seems to do double shifts, well 11-12 hour days it looks like, but so far I'm keeping to my 8 hour day though currently throwing in 15-30 mins per day extra as a good will gesture since I only have a 5 minute drive. My attitude is if I were to be asked to work longer hours I would leave, but I don't think I will be. In my view it's counter productive.

If I get a meaty project I'll do what I can but as far as I'm concerned if it can't be done on time either they assign someone else to help out or we delay, and I'm qute prepared to leave.

Sometimes management will leave it to individuals to provide the limits of what is possible, if you're willing to work longer hours, those limits just get pushed back.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
            X