• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adding a super-simple electrical circuit to garage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a super-simple electrical circuit to garage

I mentioned a while ago that our garage is detached from the house and has no electricity. I haven't got round to sorting out a permanent power supply to the garage yet but have got a nice sturdy extension cable.

What I want to do is set up simple lighting and mains circuits in the garage, with actual sockets and light switches etc, rather than stick a 5-gang on the end of the extension cable and have lamps and tools plugging into this. So in essence I wire the garage up [semi] properly and the whole garage plugs into a regular socket in the house when needed (it would NOT be left plugged in when not in use, the cable connecting garage and house would not even be left in place).

So far I know I want a switched fused connection as the first thing, so the input to this is a lead with a plug on it which plugs into the extension cable. Then I figure I am setting up a simple spur from the fused connection around the garage with a few mains sockets, and I also want a lighting circuit.

At the moment, I am trying to figure out if I need a junction box directly after the fused connection, and from this come two cables - one for lights and one for the mains spur. It seems better to me these are separated right at the start, but is this the right approach?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

What are you powering in there i.e. rating of tool etc. 13amp isn't a great deal into a garage.

Comment

Good point, but mainly just lighting and maybe a TV/HiFi rather than a workshop. Quite likely things like tools will be used, but nothing I wouldn't currently plug into a regular mains socket - hand-drill, jigsaw, hoover, etc. Nothing industrial/heavy duty.

Comment

dooogh, GF#1 has a rental which has a well shielded spur from one of her ring mains (no snorting here please) to her garage that splits into a junction box which lights up a fluorescent tube and two sockets - prob 13 amp, so she can run her freezer and tumble drier.

It looks a little dodgy (as in the splice from her house is stretched over the roof of her garage) but it seems to work.

Purely from observation, don't know if that helps or not.

Might be worth discussing with an electrician as I don't know what HSE paraphernalia would potentially void any current insurances/certificates.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

As HyperD intimates you really need a dedicated spur and consumer unit in the garage, anything else is a false economy
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            As HyperD intimates you really need a dedicated spur and consumer unit in the garage, anything else is a false economy
            And depending on distance it may also need a separate earth rod whacked into the ground at the garage end.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
              And depending on distance it may also need a separate earth rod whacked into the ground at the garage end.
              An extension lead doing the same job doesn't... it's 15m which is shorter than many people use to power a hedge trimmer across their garden

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                An extension lead doing the same job doesn't... it's 15m which is shorter than many people use to power a hedge trimmer across their garden
                Yes quite. But an extension lead is not a fixed installation and therefore not covered by the (same) regs.

TBH, my initial thoughts on your OP were why not just rig something up with an extension lead protected by an RCD.

Comment

I wired my home workshop powering a lathe and milling machine (both 240v) with one of these. I used an existing spur from the fusebox which had gone to an old shed that I'd demolished. I did a mini ring main for the plug sockets and a simple double spur for the lights.

This was it halfway through though.

Before anyone goes into one, I did have it checked out by a qualified electrician afterwards and all he said was how did I get so much cable down 1/2" conduit....

All I will say is make sure it's properly earthed. I put studs directly into the concrete foundation.
                  Last edited by Lockhouse; 21 October 2013, 19:51.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Have you asked Bob?

Comment

Working...
                    X