• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doh!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doh!

When will R*chard J*yce from S3 finally learn that I'm not a fecking mechanical engineer?

He's been sending me info about this permie vacancy in Swansea for a mechanical designer with 3D experience and plastic moulding expertise.

It's been going on for months.

I've tried being polite, but I received 4 emails in 5 minutes about this role & it's driving me slightly fecking not to mention

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    When will R*chard J*yce from S3 finally learn that I'm not a fecking mechanical engineer?

He's been sending me info about this permie vacancy in Swansea for a mechanical designer with 3D experience and plastic moulding expertise.

It's been going on for months.

I've tried being polite, but I received 4 emails in 5 minutes about this role & it's driving me slightly fecking not to mention
    Reply saying you want £750/day and you'll never hear from him again!

Comment

So you're a clanky?

You never said anything before.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        I have "CadStar" (pcb cad, not mechanical CAD or Ideas or any of that tosh) on the CV...
        I've gone all nostalgic again.

Twisted pairs - now there's a laugh.

Comment

apparently he has a hardware job for you, start tonight it is a piece of cake. The pay is 'industry standard'.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Minimum Wage then?
            Like it when people get my humour, did you get the cake reference?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Aye.

I only recently discovered that the impedance of a twisted pair alters with frequency.

It explained a lot.

Notably, why telephone lines are 600R, while an rf simulator tells you it's nowhere near that.
              I'd forgotten that. Something to do with the capacitance between the wires. Higher freq => lower impedance, hence the need on PCBs for earthed 'guard rails'. I think.

Comment

In other news, a different S3 pimp phoned me yesterday afternoon about a CAD job.

And this time it was for CadStar.

Pity it was too far away, I'm a bit tied to commuting distance these days.

Oh.

And it was for version 13 rather than the 15 year old version 2.4 that I'm familiar with.

Version 2.4 can't be much different. Or you wouldn't put it on your CV, right?

Comment

I don't think there's a version number on there.

I'm not a CAD jockey anyway, which is what they were looking for.

Too lowly paid.
                  I guess it must be now. I didn't do badly out of it in the early eighties, when there weren't many about.

And when autorouters were crap. They usually left you with more work to finish the job than if you'd done it all manually yourself.

Especially on multi-layers.

Comment

I can do cad. I can do bounder as well at a push.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X