• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting or staying as Perm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting or staying as Perm

Hey guys, was contracting for many many years, but last winter I took on a perm role, pay is reasonably good for a BA , with all the benefits (good pension and comprehensive health insurance that covers for existing conditions )
    As expected am toying with the idea of going back to contracting as I am bored like hell – yes I am suffering NO perm stress and no issues with other employees , nothing really wrong here, well perhaps apart from the fact they want me to start at 8am, but I am never in the office before 9 anyway, so they just accepted it, I am suffering from boredom, and the knowledge I can earn more as a contractor…
    However, suddenly I am having these negative thoughts about contracting lifestyle, a colleague of mine was going to leave, handed resignation as got a much better offer, but had a cancer scare before her notice runs out, my colleague still undergoing tests and decided to withdrew the resignation, which was welcomed by the employer… now I am also getting a bit of cold feet, what if something happens like that to me? I know there is no perm job security nowadays, but I’ve seen this situation again, only a few weeks ago I know someone who is in his early 40’s very very fit, suddenly out of nowhere he got a stroke, a mild stroke, but I know it will take him months to recover , and not sure if he will be able to go back to work in the same capacity as before..
    I do have critical illness insurance, but only for part of the mortgage value, not all, when I was a contractor I also took private health insurance, but that didn’t cover for all cases e.g. health issues resulting from existing conditions, don’t get me wrong am perfectly healthy now, but perhaps as I am getting older I am getting more and more hesitant, less decisive and not tempted to take risks any more…
    Anyone else have thoughts like that? No idea how I was so casual about contracting before and it felt so natural and now am the opposite?

If in doubt stay Perm. Next

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      +1
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Can you continue the health cover when you leave? Some providers will allow that.

Private health cover isn't going to help you in the event of an emergency, whether that's a pre-existing condition or not.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
          Can you continue the health cover when you leave? Some providers will allow that.

Private health cover isn't going to help you in the event of an emergency, whether that's a pre-existing condition or not.
          Not specifically the cover, event though I have experienced private/nhs treatments, and the difference is huge, but also getting paid while you are on extended sick leave.

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
            <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

+2

The more you dip in and out between perm and contract the harder it is going to be for you to find work. Perms don't want contractors and coming from perm is a disadvantage for contract roles. Jump in one or the other other. Messing about with both will make things harder.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Interesting post for me.
                I am thinking of going in the opposite direction (Contract to Perm) for similar reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
                  ...but that didn’t cover for all cases e.g. health issues resulting from existing conditions, don’t get me wrong am perfectly healthy now...
                  I may have misunderstood here but assuming I havent...

If you take out any form of life assurance, critical illness cover or income protection then pre existing medical conditions are only factored in at the application stage.

Therefore if you are fit and healthy now and decide to take out one of the above policies, then after doing so, a year down the line you are diagnosed with a heart condition for example, you would be covered still if you suffered a heart attack later. It would only be if you had heart conditions (in which case obtaining cover may be very difficult and or costly anyway) that potentially any heart related conditions wouldn't be covered.

Hope that helps?

Comment

+3

As you have done your risk analysis and the risks are too great for you then stay Perm.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X