• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

An Attack of the Vapers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Attack of the Vapers

Restaurants' dilemma as diners fire up e-cigarettes at the table annoying non-smokers | Mail Online

Restaurants' dilemma as diners annoy non-smokers by firing up e-cigarettes at the table
    Vapour appears to be causing discomfort among non-smoking diners
    Battery-operated devices invented in 2003 look like normal cigarettes
    Contain liquid nicotine which is turned into vapour inhaled by the user
    should we send those nasty filthy imitation smokers out in the cold?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Restaurants' dilemma as diners fire up e-cigarettes at the table annoying non-smokers | Mail Online

While I have used e-cigs, I wouldn't sit in ClientCo puffing away on one, and I wouldn't use one in a pub or restaurant unless they either specifically had signs saying they were OK, or there were a number of people already using them.

I'm not sure how it is in the rest of the country, but up in Edinburgh the ones that look like normal cigarettes are in the minority - most people use things with a refillable glass reservoir that look nothing like a fag, some use things that look more like cigars, and I even spotted a couple of imitation pipes.

Comment

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
        While I have used e-cigs, I wouldn't sit in ClientCo puffing away on one.
        We have got a perm using his at his desk, in meetings, in the pub. He has been told by the directors to take it outside.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Hey Dave, you do know what that song was about - don't you?
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

A kid in my daughters class got put in isolation for smoking an electronic ciggie at school
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
              Hey Dave, you do know what that song was about - don't you?
              Well that depends, do you?

Songwriter David Fenton explains: "Turning Japanese is all the clichés about angst and youth and turning into something you didn't expect to."[6]
              "Turning Japanese" was believed to euphemistically refer to masturbation—i.e. the act causing the man to squint and therefore resemble a Japanese's person's eyes[2] or possibly, referencing the British slang word "Jap's eye" (the slit of the penis) and the act of turning referring to the process of masturbation—but the song's author Fenton denied that claim in an interview on VH1. "It could have been (turning) Portuguese, Lebanese, anything that fitted with that phrase. It has nothing to do with the Japanese." "The first time the idea of masturbation came up was when we were touring America. It was written about that 'turning Japanese' was an English phrase for masturbation, which it wasn't."
              Guitarist Rob Kemp went on to say, "It's a love song about somebody who had lost their girlfriend and was going slowly crazy, turning Japanese is just all the cliches of our angst... turning into something you never expected to."
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I wouldn't use one at the clientco (mainly as I don't use it during the day but don't want to bite the hand that feeds me) but in the evenings I've used it in restaurants, pubs, trains (SWT) and all over.

Most are OK about it. Those that aren't tend to get a little confused when I bring out a Nicorette inhaler.

So far I've got 6 or so people from fags onto vapes just by using it in public places, including GF#1 and GF#2.

Love the different flavours: menthol, cherry, vanilla, apple, chocolate and roast chicken!

I was an ex-smoker (gave up 10+ years ago) and saw these and thought: what fun! Both non-nicotine and nicotine variants I've used. Vaporised propylene glycol and no flames.

Funniest thing I've seen was vaping in a pub when the waitress put an ashtray in front of me. She found it highly amusing when I popped the vape back in my pocket!
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  In what way are they "nasty [and] filthy"? The vapour is just that, water vapour. You might as well insist that the chef go outside to steam vegetables.

Just because some stupid morons are whining doesn't mean we should kowtow to them. Tell them to leave, and not come back until they've dragged themselves out of the morass of ignorance in which they currently wallow. They're the kind of people that just love having something to moan about anyway. Gits.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    In what way are they "nasty [and] filthy"? The vapour is just that, water vapour. You might as well insist that the chef go outside to steam vegetables.

Just because some stupid morons are whining doesn't mean we should kowtow to them. Tell them to leave, and not come back until they've dragged themselves out of the morass of ignorance in which they currently wallow. They're the kind of people that just love having something to moan about anyway. Gits.
                    Sorry to revive an old thread, but the fun police are at it again:

Ban 'toxic' e-cigarettes indoors, says WHO - Telegraph

Comment

Working...
                    X