• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unpaid Invoice LTD Company - Norwegian Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unpaid Invoice LTD Company - Norwegian Tax

Hi all

I signed a contract with a UK limited company (IT agency) to do some work in Norway. I've basically been working in Norway 4 half months on and off, invoices have always been paid in full until my last invoice which should have been paid last week. Still waiting.

Their response is that another umbrella company from denmark have taken the taxes at source and they can't pay me. The invoice is between myself LTD company and another UK LTD company (the agency) surely this is not my problem and its their duty to pay me? Is this even legal?

I understand Norway has a strict tax policy and contractors pay 28% but I'm working as a UK company and even then, they have no right to take any tax from my invoice without my permission. Its my obligation to pay the taxes at the end of the year else I'll be paying tax both in Norway and the UK.

Any information advice much appreciated,
    Thanks CB
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 28 October 2013, 12:10. Reason: ...should "of" :-(

I guess being a UK agency then Opt In/Out status is still valid. Did you opt in or out when you started the contract?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

being a UK agency then Opt In/Out status is still valid
      so what does this mean? I don't think I opted in or out, gut feeling maybe out.

Thanks, CB

update: for the record I have it in writing in an email...

"You will paid the full amount we don’t deduct tax from you"
      Last edited by computerbarry; 21 October 2013, 11:55.

Comment

Originally posted by computerbarry View Post
        Their response is that another umbrella company from denmark have taken the taxes at source and they can't pay me.
        Where do the danish company come in? were you aware of them before? do your agency invoice them? Why are they suddenly in the chain?

All questions only you and the the agency can answer.

Comment

so what does this mean? I don't think I opted in or out, gut feeling maybe out.

Thanks, CB

update: for the record I have it in writing in an email...

"You will paid the full amount we don’t deduct tax from you"
          If you have not opted out the agency is obliged to pay if you have a signed timesheet regardless of what the complications are between him and the client etc...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-2003-act.html
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The Danish company are the umbrella company who had the work with the norwegian client. I was working with another UK guy for a couple of months who was working directly with the Danish company as a PAYE, he was getting taxed every month at source.

I was working through my LTD company working through the LTD company in discussion and getting payed in full. Only now at the end they have taken all the tax they say I owe and deducted from the invoice, hence the UK company telling me they can't pay me.

?

I've basically worked in Norway for the last month for nothing.
            It still boils down to, is it a legal requirement for them to pay me?

Comment

The Danish company are the umbrella company who had the work with the norwegian client. I was working with another UK guy for a couple of months who was working directly with the Danish company as a PAYE, he was getting taxed every month at source.

I was working through my LTD company working through the LTD company in discussion and getting payed in full. Only now at the end they have taken all the tax they say I owe and deducted from the invoice, hence the UK company telling me they can't pay me.

?

I've basically worked in Norway for the last month for nothing.
              It still boils down to, is it a legal requirement for them to pay me?
              Your post is confusing what has the Danish company got to do with anything?

If you are working directly through the agency then follow the Dunning (use search on here) process to get your money and don't bother communicating any more with the agency by telephone as you can't use it as evidence if you do end up going to court.

Also don't worry about the opt-in/opt-out as soon as the agency realises you are going to court they will have to give a proper reason why they can't pay you.
              Last edited by SueEllen; 21 October 2013, 13:11.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Their response is that another umbrella company from denmark have taken the taxes at source and they can't pay me. The invoice is between myself LTD company and another UK LTD company (the agency) surely this is not my problem and its their duty to pay me? Is this even legal?
                If you were working overseas, then what does the local legislation say? Did you fall under Norwegian tax at all? What is the exact chain between you and the client - if the Danish company aren't meant to be in the chain, then why are they getting involved?

I understand Norway has a strict tax policy and contractors pay 28% but I'm working as a UK company and even then, they have no right to take any tax from my invoice without my permission.
                Are you certain that they can't do that?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                  If you were working overseas, then what does the local legislation say? Did you fall under Norwegian tax at all? What is the exact chain between you and the client - if the Danish company aren't meant to be in the chain, then why are they getting involved?
                  It doesn't matter what country you are working in.

What matters is legal jurisdiction the contract states applies.

So if I work in Timbuktu but the contract states the laws of England apply to it, then I any disputes I have go under English law.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    It doesn't matter what country you are working in.

What matters is legal jurisdiction the contract states applies.

So if I work in Timbuktu but the contract states the laws of England apply to it, then I any disputes I have go under English law.
                    If there is a legitimate tax bill to be paid, and the operating laws of the country allow for the tax to be claimed this way, then are you suggesting that just by having an English contract that makes it illegal for that to happen?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Working...
                    X