• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Energy price rises - what's the big deal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy price rises - what's the big deal?

So latest news in that nPower have increased their prices by 10.4%

BBC News - Npower to raise energy prices by 10.4%

I just called them and switched from my current fixed tariff to another fixed tariff saving me 10% on my gas bill. Price comparison sites found this to be the cheapest one of the lot (bar some strange company I have never heard of).

I asked the customer services rep what the big deal was and she said it was going to affect the standard rates mainly.... If this is the case then why not just switch to a fixed one if it is cheaper as well!?

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

I just called them and switched from my current fixed tariff to another fixed tariff saving me 10% on my gas bill. Price comparison sites found this to be the cheapest one of the lot (bar some strange company I have never heard of).

I asked the customer services rep what the big deal was and she said it was going to affect the standard rates mainly.... If this is the case then why not just switch to a fixed one if it is cheaper as well!?
    The vulnerable are more likely to stay on the standard rate.
    If you are in debt to a supplier you can't switch. So those having difficulty will pay more.
    Its a gradual march away from the wholesale price.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Is it a solid policy that energy companies will have to put people on the cheapest (ish) tariff in the future, or is that only an idea?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        The vulnerable are more likely to stay on the standard rate.
        If you are in debt to a supplier you can't switch. So those having difficulty will pay more.
        Its a gradual march away from the wholesale price.
        really?

Comment

really?
          EXCLUSIVE: higher energy bills ahead for many as firms scrap low tariffs - UK - News - London Evening Standard

Citizens Advice - You can

no its a reality they are moving all their users up to standard tariffs.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Your 10% saving is actually the price from the 12-18 months before.

Every time you fix you are paying the price 12-18 months ago so your energy prices are rising but more slowly than everyone else.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Are you guys having energy prices again?

House prices rises, energy prices rises, food price rises, it's all about the rises with you guys. It's a good job salaries are keeping pace with those double digit increases.

Is inflation still at 2%?
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

House prices rises, energy prices rises, food price rises, it's all about the rises with you guys. It's a good job salaries are keeping pace with those double digit increases.

Is inflation still at 2%?
                You are confusing fixed assets with consumables and necessities. Go and re-think.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Energy prices seem to be a feature of modern live.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Your 10% saving is actually the price from the 12-18 months before.

Every time you fix you are paying the price 12-18 months ago so your energy prices are rising but more slowly than everyone else.
                    I am just happy that I am saving 10% on my bill until April 2015. That's not a bad deal in the current economic climate. Should the economy start to recover by that time then it shouldn't be such a problem if prices go up again.

I am also going to be making various changes to my house (insulation, indoor sliding doors for conservatory) to make some further efficiency gains.

Comment

Working...
                    X