• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CXCIX

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CXCIX

Once these are posted, I can go out foraging for bacon:
    • Our Logo Looks Like Underpants: A Case Study in Internationalization - RJMetrics unveiled a new corporate identity, and soon identified a disconcerting trend on social media: "Without exception, every tweet that ever suggested that our logo looks like underpants had come from the United Kingdom."

• ANS - Amazing, Eerie Russian Optical Synth - Now on Every OS - "Before electronics grew in wide use in musical instruments, sound designers took a cue from soundtracks for film. That is, before digital, before analog, there was optical. Sound artists, including a number of brilliant Russian engineers, synthesized sounds by imaging them directly on film and running them over photo-optical sensors, as used in sound film projectors of the time. Evgeny Murzin began the ANS project in 1938 with the idea of turning these into a complete musical instrument, capable of realizing sounds with microtonal accuracy – without the use of musicians. The finished instrument finally came into being in 1958." And now you can run it on iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows, OS X, and Linux

• Famous Trials - Materials relating to some of the most notable trials in legal history, curated by Professor Douglas Linder: "My original purpose in creating the Famous Trials site was a very modest one. I wanted to post a variety of background materials for students enrolled in my Famous Trials Seminar. There is no single text that works for such a seminar, and requiring my students to purchase, say, fourteen books about fourteen trials seemed out of the question... I fully understand that few twelve-year-olds will get much out of some of the full appellate opinions posted on the site, for example. By the same token, some of the materials on the site (comics, jeopardy games, and various "fun facts") may seem insufficiently serious to some especially serious people."

• In The Picture: Michael Paul Smith - HT to northernladuk for this great piece about a photographer who blends reality and models seamlessly, strictly without the use of Photoshop:

• The Original "Mahna Mahna" - "It's a fair bet that you've heard "Mahna Mahna" from The Muppet Show. If you're of a certain age, just mentioning "Mahna Mahna" starts the tune in your head, and you're off to the races! (Doo-doo-dee-doo-doo, doo-doo-dee-doo!!) But while most of us think of the song as the opening number on the original Muppet Show, its first Muppet rendition came on an early episode of Sesame Street, performed by a trio of then-nameless "anything Muppets" just messing around." Chris Higgins tracks down various manifestations of the classic Muppets song. Turns out Sesame Street wasn't its first appearance...

• All Is Fair in Love and Twitter - As Twitter approaches its IPO, the NY Times has a long piece going into great detail about the various battles between its founders and other board members that brought it to this point: "Genesis stories tend to take on an outsize significance in Silicon Valley... In the Valley, these tales are called “the Creation Myth” because, while based on a true story, they exclude all the turmoil and occasional back stabbing that comes with founding a tech company. And while all origin stories contain some exaggerations, Twitter’s is cobbled together from an uncommon number of them."

• A Preliminary Atlas of Robot Killing Fields - "Our intention is to outline everything that we know — or think we know — about incident OB298. This is an attempt to understand the geography of a drone strike." From Pakistan to Austria, Tim Maly tracks down the places involved in a drone strike which killed grandmother Bibi Mamana, "...along with up to five other people and injuring six to eight of the children. Some other men, maybe three, perhaps militants, may have been caught in the blast. A house and a car may or may not have been destroyed. Either three cows or one buffalo and two goats were also killed."

• Jumpers - Tad Friend on the history of suicide by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge, including talking to some of the twenty-six people who have jumped, but survived: "As he crossed the chord in flight, Baldwin recalls, “I instantly realized that everything in my life that I’d thought was unfixable was totally fixable—except for having just jumped.”"

• The six hidden penises on the London Tube Map - "Inspired by the ‘hidden animals of the Underground’ that some creative type drew over the Tube lines, we tried to find our own images in London Transport’s classic map."

• Sad Etsy Boyfriends - Girl uses craft skills to make thing; girl wants to sell thing on Etsy; girl dragoons boyfriend into modelling thing. Result:

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Jumpers - Tad Friend on the history of suicide by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge, including talking to some of the twenty-six people who have jumped, but survived: "As he crossed the chord in flight, Baldwin recalls, “I instantly realized that everything in my life that I’d thought was unfixable was totally fixable—except for having just jumped.”"
    A very interesting and sobering article.

The bit that made me think was the one suicide victim who said: ‘I’m going to walk to the bridge. If one person smiles at me on the way, I will not jump.’ Obviously no-one smiled at him.

Comment

2nd June Etsy one looks like he is having a wizz.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Ah.

That's wot "Etsy" is.

There was a prog on R4 on Saturday afternoon* that was waffling on about it and how it differs from ebay.

*The Bottom Line, nowhere near as exciting as it sounds.
        It's ebay for mad cat ladies
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
          It's nothing of the sort.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Mad US cat ladies mainly, I think.

UK version is Folksy - here*

There's even Adra - a welsh version*

* disclaimer - i have an interest in a plan B shop operating on these sites

Oh, and there's Not on the High Street too, but i think their commission is a bit steep or something

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
              There's even Adra - a welsh version*

* disclaimer - i have an interest in a plan B shop operating on these sites
              You are a sadra boyfriend and I claim my five pounds

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                • In The Picture: Michael Paul Smith - HT to northernladuk for this great piece about a photographer who blends reality and models seamlessly, strictly without the use of Photoshop:

Saw this on facebook - Cleverly Placed Miniature Cement Sculptures by Isaac Cordal «TwistedSifter Not quite the same thing, but quite cool.

He could have done without the real people reflections though!

Edit: Lots more here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacordal/
                Last edited by mudskipper; 22 October 2013, 07:16.

Comment

There are sane cat ladies?!

PS I don't mean you Norrahe, you are a lovely cat lady
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    There are sane cat ladies?!

PS I don't mean you Norrahe, you are a lovely cat lady
                    Its a sliding scale.

level of Madness ∝ (Cats) + ((knitted items with cats on)/3).

Note squirrels can be substituted for cats if you are Russian!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X