• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed! I am now a lecturer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomed! I am now a lecturer

Just reached an agreement to teach an evening class at a local uni starting next February.

Pros:
    - something I have always wanted to do
    - nice diversified income stream for the business (but only pocket change)
    - nice addition to CV (what experience do you have in X? Oh, I teach a class in it)
    - forces me to be on top of my game on a particular technical skillset (will help with those closed tech question interviews)

Cons:
    - limits my travel (but I am in walking distance of the biggest market so less of an issue)
    - have to actually teach the class - long hours one day a week

Excellent - something I thought about for a bit, but turns out I couldn't be arsed to do anything about it

What are you teaching?

Comment

I'm looking forward to it. Going to be teaching a Linux class.

Comment

Nice one: )
        Invaluable that people with practical, "real" experience, in addition to pure academics, play a part in education.
        If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Originally posted by Bellona View Post
          Nice one: )
          Invaluable that people with practical, "real" experience, in addition to pure academics, play a part in education.
          WBS
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

the solution of course is to write your own course books and force your victims to buy them.

Congrats.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Excellent - something I thought about for a bit, but turns out I couldn't be arsed to do anything about it
              Great bit of life coaching there:

If you're thinking of doing something, but you can't be arsed, probably best not to do it....

Comment

You'll enjoy it. But one word of advice, not on an empty stomach.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  the solution of course is to write your own course books and force your victims to buy them.
                  That's what most of my university lecturers did.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Congrats.
                  This.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    I considered it, but then decided that I'd be better off running training courses for clients who paid significantly more than public sector lecturing did
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Working...
                    X