• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mathematical Problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mathematical Problem

I need to produce a photo montage showing what a proposed structure will look like in relation to its surroundings (It's a chimney at a nearby cement works as it happens)

I know the height of the chimney. I have a photo taken at a known distance from the site of the chimney.

How do I work out what size to make the chimney in my montage?

SOHCAHTOA
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      SOHCAHTOA
      Not without knowing the angle

Comment

SOHCAHTOA
        Over complicating it.

Just work out the ratio of the known height and the photos height and apply the same ration to the new structure in the montage
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

forget that

Comment

Google 'perspective', although you can probably find some rules of thumb that make some broad assumptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
              I need to produce a photo montage showing what a proposed structure will look like in relation to its surroundings (It's a chimney at a nearby cement works as it happens)

I know the height of the chimney. I have a photo taken at a known distance from the site of the chimney.

How do I work out what size to make the chimney in my montage?
              You know the opposite (height) and the adjacent (distance) now find the hypotenuses using Pythagoras theorem. Then scale it down keeping the same ratios of sides.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
                Not without knowing the angle
                The angle can be worked out using Pythagorean theorem
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  The angle can be worked out using Pythagorean theorem
                  tan(angle)=opp/adj.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

tan(angle)=opp/adj.
                    But you are assuming that it is a right angled triangle with the photo being taken level with the base of the chimney.

Comment

Working...
                    X