• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The great fixed-term contract debate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The great fixed-term contract debate

OK folks, let's have a proper debate about fixed-term contracts.

First of all, I've never done one. I must explore why, as I have considered them at least initially.

I just see it as permie pay for contractor work for 12 to 24 months. "Oh it's better than nothing" shout all the permie-minded people when you're out of contract. Then they don't get it, think I'm mental or suicidal when I turn them down. "At least you don't have to look for something else for 12-24 months" & "It's best to get 12-24 months of solid work experience down than maybe nothing" they scream in their incredulity "it will LOOK better on your CV" they plead.

Reasons I've rejected them:-
    1. Opportunity cost.
    2. Unable to put expenses against earnings to reduce tax
    3. PAYE tax rates

But what about the permie benefits I could enjoy from a fixed-term contract? I still don't know what those things are, do you? Holidays and sick days I hear them say. Employment rights say others. Huh? Still don't get how that warrants accepting an effective daily rate of half of a normal contract. It does not compute!

I've had a couple of conversations this afternoon with some permie friends/family who still don't get why I think negatively like I do on these fixed-term contracts. I just don't buy them. Do you?

The only thing I want to look good is my NET WORTH. And my hair.
    Last edited by masonryan; 22 October 2013, 18:06.

https://www.gov.uk/fixed-term-contra...dterm-contract

Any employee on fixed-term contracts for 4 or more years will automatically become a permanent employee, unless the employer can show there is a good business reason not to do so.
    They are not contracts as we see them so shouldn't really be considered on here. Closer to a perm contract than what we know. It's just the term 'contract' in the title that gets us looking but we shouldn't. It's a temporary perm contract and nothing more.

I know BUPA use them have two friends, one was taken on after the 4 years, the other one binned. 4 years at a company not knowing if you have a solid job and then get binned at the point they have to tell you your perm. Just a disgrace!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      https://www.gov.uk/fixed-term-contra...dterm-contract

They are not contracts as we see them so shouldn't really be considered on here. Closer to a perm contract than what we know. It's just the term 'contract' in the title that gets us looking but we shouldn't. It's a temporary perm contract and nothing more.

I know BUPA use them have two friends, one was taken on after the 4 years, the other one binned. 4 years at a company not knowing if you have a solid job and then get binned at the point they have to tell you your perm. Just a disgrace!
      Can't believe I'm gonna say this but.... I totally agree! I find them a con.

Comment

Some further evidence that they are nothing to do with the contracts we know....

9 things you may not know about fixed-term contracts - www.vitae.ac.uk/researchers

2. The termination of a fixed-term contract is recognised in law as a redundancy.
        Didn't know that... but further proves it isn't for us to be considering. Might still be attractive for all the disguised permies out there though
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No, I don't.

I see them as more of an option for someone looking for a full time role for a defined length of time only,They are long term temporary positions, not contracts per se

For me there are no advantages.

I took to contracting to take as much holiday as I wanted, when I wanted, and to go in, deliver what is stated and go away again.

I took private health cover from the Healthcare Provider I used to come under as a permie ( so existing conditions covered, and got a good rate, it's worth the cost). I have a private pension.

I earn 3 times more than I did as a permie (take home ), even allowing for bench time.

So no benefits at all to a FTC for me.
          If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

That's interesting northernladuk.

So, sometimes I get calls about fixed-term contracts paying £40k say for 12 months.

£30k after tax. Accommodation/travel up to £1.5k/month or £18k. This leaves £12k/year or £1k/month to pay yourself.

Not great is it?

Might be feasible if the fixed-term contract is local.

A 6-month proper contract paying a modest £300/day would be £30k turnover, minus 9k Accommodation/travel, leaving £21k profit, £4k tax so £17k post tax to pay yourself.

Then you sit on your bum for 6 months and are still £5k richer than the fixed-term guy.

Comment

In myline of work (seeusername) I am amazed that some clients have agency workers in for years on end when fixed term contracts would be cheaper. It all depends on the market, while there are agency roles I will take them but if client councils wake up and smell the coffee one day I will have to take whatever I can get. One place has tried offering bank roles offering pathetic rates, half way up the permanent scale, needless to say noone has bitten afaik.

Comment

Interesting, socialworker.

Do you think that having a fixed-term contract on your CV devalues your contracting credibility? I mean, client co and agent may then conclude you can be pushed around more and tempted on lower rates.

Comment

Originally posted by masonryan View Post

Do you think that having a fixed-term contract on your CV devalues your contracting credibility? I mean, client co and agent may then conclude you can be pushed around more and tempted on lower rates.
                  TBH no one would give a stuff, but then it is a very different world to IT. Ive got basically two agents now that get the same jobs, each knows I will go to the other if they try to mess me about, and I am straight with them both.

Comment

Originally posted by masonryan View Post

Only if you're dull enough to differentiate between them on your CV.

Comment

Working...
                    X